Best prop for a 15hp Mercury on Yam 380S

Breedam

Recruit
Hello,

I'm from holland and I mainly use my Yam 380S inflatable on the Mediterranean Sea at Croatia. My engine is a 2003 Mercury 15hp 2-stroke, running the oem (blackmax?) 9x9 aluminium propeller. Now it's working just fine, but every time it's a bit choppy and my wive and son are in the boat it ventilates very quickly. I know it's ventilating, when I throttle back and up it grips again. Now you may know it's VERY irritating and I'm looking for a prop that may suite does conditions better. I'm also towing my son on a tube, which the engine handles very good with this size prop. now I was either looking for the Solas Saturn stainless steel 9.25x9 or 9.25x10, or the 4 bladed amita in 9.25x9 or x10. I also saw the Hustler alu prop, which comes with a hub kit. I tend to a prop which has a larger pitch relative to the oem prop, because it's a bit to light.

thanks, Marten

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Why is that some guys wants to maximize props without even having tested current one. You don't have a prop issue, you have a engine/transom height issue. That rebadged Tohatsu needs to be height seated correctly for a nice combo water performance. Will PM sending some tech guideliness so to be aware on what to do. Standard factory delivered props works excellent on most inflatables.

Happy Boating

jestor68

Commander
My vote is for the Solas Saturn 9-1/4 X 9.

The thinner cupped blades should work to reduce(or eliminate) the ventilation issue you experience in choppy conditions.

dazk14

Ensign
My vote is for the Solas Saturn 9-1/4 X 9.

The thinner cupped blades should work to reduce(or eliminate) the ventilation issue you experience in choppy conditions.

+1. Jestor is right on the money with the polished, thin bladed, cupped Saturn.

Be aware that most small Saturn's tended to be pitched an inch higher than a stock non-cupped prop (which is not uncommon), so we usually order an 1" smaller pitch.

Based on the performance you have described, it sounds like pulling the rpm's down a bit won't hurt...

and I can't imagine suggesting an 8" which seems much too small for an inflatable with a 15hp.

The nice thing about the Solas - besides looking very fast - is you'll essentially max out the boat performance, at least prop wise.