buying stainless prop what pitch should it be

old evin

Cadet
I have an 86 charger high sides heavy boat. it has an 78 200 v6evinrude. I am currently running an aluminum 13 x 19 prop. this thing shoots out of the hole and on plane quick wot rpm 5400. its seems that between 4700 and 5400 rpm there isn't much mph change. I pull tubers but also like to run it. my max mph as off now is around 35. I think it will do better with a different prop anyone have any suggestions.

dazk14

Ensign
Are you trimming out at WOT for maximum speed? Save me the lookup and tell me the design rpm range for that motor. I suppose gear ratio would be helpful as well.

A stainless will have better performance and allow you to raise the motor, trim out more, and provide more overall boat lift to lessen the wetted surface.

A stilletto is what I'm thinking at the moment for more top speed. There are other choices and you may find a good deal on a used stainless on Ebay as it is a common size.

jestor68

Commander
Rpm range is 5000-6000. 200 HP @ 5500 rpm.

Gear ratio is 1.86.

Something to ponder: your ratio, 19 pitch @ 5400 rpm equals theoretical 52 mph; corrected with 13% slip equals 45 mph.

Theoretically, using the same parameters; a 100 rpm change should result in a 1 mph change.

Possible problems: tach, speed reading, prop.

Evinrude's Viper prop would be my recommendation for your application.

Last edited: