Need Prop Help or Setting Suggestion 14' V 25hp 4 Stroke Mercury

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Prop Help or Setting Suggestion 14' V 25hp 4 Stroke Mercury

A photo will not show much, not even cav plate height as will depend on the camera angle when pic was shot. The only way to deterrmine if engine sits at a sweet engine/transom heigh is going for a wot spin and visually check what's going on at back engine.

You need to get the full power out of that 25, bear in mind that your are currently under powered as that boat needs at least a 30 HP to work much better than a 25 for that size boat.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Hard to tell from the pictures but it appears the motor is 3 to 5 inched too low.
The anti vent plate(just above the prop) needs to be about even with the bottom of the transom.
Is it a 15" transom?(for short motor) Is the motor a 20"

turkey22

Seaman

Will have to measure. I will be out of town for unexpected time period...but ready to get back in time.

jestor68

Commander

You don't really need to measure per say.

Place a straight edge on the keel and extend it out till it touches the lower unit.

The AV plate needs to be even with or slightly above the straight edge.

jestor68

Commander

That motor needs to be bolted to the transom(once you verify the proper height) using the holes provided on the transom plate.

The clamp bracket alone is not enough to secure the motor.

turkey22

Seaman

That motor needs to be bolted to the transom(once you verify the proper height) using the holes provided on the transom plate.

The clamp bracket alone is not enough to secure the motor.

I agree

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely the only way to be sure it will stay on the boat is bolting it.
How ever motors including the straight 6 mercs and the V4 evinrudes were simply clamped in place
for probably 60 years.It does require your attention to be sure it remains tight and that the transom
material retains it integrity.
I can attest to the fact that inattention can result in a motors swim.Fortunately mine was in only about 8 ft of water
and a friend dove down and roped it.

Scott Grover

Recruit
We have a question as well. We have a 115hp four-stroke Merc with the following prop
77342a45p15 There are no other numbers that we can see. We figure the pitch is 15, but cannot see the diameter and would like to purchase a stainless steel prop. Any suggestions?