Which SS Prop???????

WIMUSKY

Staff member
2003 60 Johnson 4 stroke
Rated max WOT rpm 5300
Current max WOT rpm 5300 - perfect!
Top end around 32/33 GPS

Current prop - OEM 14x17 #177131 AL
Here it is, not my ad and it sold anyway.....
Johnson Evinrude 3 Blade Aluminum Prop 14" x 17 Pitch RH 177131 | eBay

Looking at a SS. Here's my options:
17” Pitch Johnson Outboard Boat Propellers 60 HP 1998 & Newer 4-Stroke

The only performance issue I'd like to be a little better would be the holeshot..........

Here's the 2 I was looking at from iboats.

This one is supposedly made for 4 strokes and mentions an excellent holeshot:
Stiletto Advantage Q + Guardian Hub Stainless Steel Boat Propeller #801317 for Johnson 60 HP Outboard 1998 & Newer 4-Stroke

This one is vented which should also give an excellent holeshot:
Turning Point Express Stainless Stainless Steel Boat Propeller #3143 1711 for Johnson 60 HP Outboard 1998 & Newer 4-Stroke

Which would you go with, or, is there another one that would outperform the aforementioned?

It's been said to drop a pitch going to SS. They have both in 15" as well the others.

Would I really need to drop pitch, especially the one that is vented? Thoughts being the venting would offset the smaller pitch. Keep in mind this is a 4 stroke..........

Thanks fellas........... :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: Which SS Prop???????

I looked at that one too. I like the one piece design.

I guess I want the best prop for my application, over the best bang for the buck. But maybe that prop gives me both...... That's why I'm asking for opinions........ Keep 'em coming..........

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

While that is a old design hub and more than probably the reason for its price point...you would find it above par in almost every aspect aside from the flexability to be switched to another drive type.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Thanks Gunner, once the prop goes on it aint comin' off except for greasing the shaft. No switching and there isn't a different boat in my near future......

WIMUSKY

Staff member

:bump: Anymore opinions on which would be the best prop? Putting $s aside.......

Also, should I stick with the current 17p that my AL is, or, drop to 15p?

Thanks......

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned

IMO, Go with the 15" pitch for better holeshot, & all around better performance. With the extra weight, & rigidity, I think you'll need it. Remember you can always throttle down a bit, rather then throttle up, and lug your engine with the 17" P. Plus, loading down your boat won't strain your motor as much.

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner

If the only thing you want to improve is hole shot over the existing setup, I would try the vented one. Yes, the 17 Stainless will probably drop your WOT RPM some, but you are at the top anyway, so I don't expect much of a problem except the hole shot as long as your numbers above came with a typical load. Annnnd, theoretically the hole shot will improve with the vents. The challenge is, like all prop decisions, the only way to know is to try it....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

http://features.**********/boat-content/2011/09/crestliner-1650-fish-hawk-boat-test-notes/

Your boat seems to have a shallow v... wide beam.... and light. Again the stilletto's will give that hull lift which in turn will create less wetted surface and lower slip number's aka higher effec...As mentioned above a 15 should be the right choice for a stilletto they are agressively cupped making 15 act like 16. If you had your gear ratio we could measure current slip to see how well the alum is doing...

What are you looking for in performance??? You could always go to a 4 blade which would really push a boat load of weight around...As to the props you selected the saturn is a big eared pusher..pontoon type and Titan is not the new HR..(high rake) the michgan wheel again are known pusher's go cruise WH's prop test result's.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

The one link was all the props available for my motor. I was looking at the Stiletto Advantage Q and the Turning Point Express(vented). I don't think a bow lifting prop would work well since I'm tail heavy due to the weight of the 4 stroke and fuel cell placement. I can hardly trim the motor when on plane w/o porpoising, although it will trim enough to get the bow up and give a nice ride.

A little better hole shot is what I'm shooting for, I get it if my daughter sits in front of the console an uses it as a backrest. Nothing in the boat can be moved to change the balance.

I believe the gear ratio is 2.42

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I found a slip calc and I'm around 9%, which I believe is pretty good? I see changing by 1mph effects the %. So I would say 9 - 12%. What's the ideal %?

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You know a 4th blade might do the trick and it will also pull like a tug boat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I found a slip calc and I'm around 9%, which I believe is pretty good? I see changing by 1mph effects the %. So I would say 9 - 12%. What's the ideal %?
Ideal is low as you can go. Anything below 10 and I start to double check the data. Especially at 32 MPH. Hard to have super good slip numbers down that slow as there is still a lot of boat in the wawa...

I think Bob may be right, but at a 16" pitch. Been thinking something similar. Most 4 blades are sold in even number pitch as that 1 inch seems to be the sweet spot to compensate for the extra blade.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Unless my tach is off, those numbers are darn close. I GPSed my speedo and believe it or not, it's within 1 mph...... I just don't remember if it was 31/32mph. I know it was over 30. At 30 I believe it gave me 15% slip. I know I was over 30.

As I mentioned to some, I'm nervous about a 4 blade. I just have never seen a 4 blade on my style of boat. Although, a 4 blade SS would look "bad" on that motor.....:)

Here it is, maybe a pic will help......

QC

Supreme Mariner

Another factor is how nice and light these aluminum hulls are. So your numbers seem within reason. I like the 4 blade and down 1 inch for hole shot. I just hate that the only way to prove it is to test... I am guessing that others are all using three blades just cuz that's what they came with. Could be wrong on that, but lower horsepower doesn't seem to bring out the performance junkies.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well as much as i like the baypro..probably not the best choice. It will improve the low end and midrange that is for certain but as i mentioned above the stilletto's provide a lot of lift now finish that with a 4th blade again more lift... your boat would probably porpise at the drop of a dime...On my I/O just on plane say 25-30 at max trim all i have to do is walk up to the bow and jump a few time's...and its off to the race's...bong bong bong.

Hmm your hard to plzzz....:lol:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Doesn't a 4 blade give it more stern lift apposed to bow? It's been my understanding a 4 blade raises the rear.

I'm not hard to please, I just hate making mistakes that cost me money........ :) I want to make the right decision the first time.... :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Did a little research, however, my boat is light years from Hi-Perf. I'm tail heavy so a stern lift would be a plus I would think:

4 Blade Propellers
Four-blade propellers are priced slightly higher (because there is one extra blade) but offer better hole shot and stern lift. Four-blade propellers also provide faster acceleration and smoother cruising operation with less vibration, as there are more blades in the water. They also improve low-speed handling, better holding power in rough waters, increased fuel efficiency and are better for carrying loads. For high-powered performance boats carrying heavy loads or pulling skiers or wakeboarders, a four-blade propeller is a great choice.

Summary of the 4 blade propeller advantages:

- Improved hole shot and stern lift
- Faster acceleration
- Smoother cruising operation / less vibration
- Improved fuel efficiency
- Better low-speed handling
- Improved holding power in rough waters
- Great for carrying loads
- Ideal for pulling skiers or wakeboarders
Important Note: If you are upgrading from a three-blade to a four-blade propeller, please adjust the pitch for the four-blade by decreasing the pitch an inch. This will ensure you are still achieving the same RPM’s.

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned

Okay, but, are there no other 4 blade props available for your motor? The Stiletto seems a bit expensive. I've had experience with a borrowed 5 blade Mirage, vs, my 3 blade Alum. Black Max on my old 24' SeaRay cuddy 260hp Merc. and it did exactly as was stated, but scrubbed a few mph. as to be expected.

I've read rave reviews about the Turning Point props, especially the Hustler, but that one don't pertain here. I'd go for one of these.

Last edited: