Stiletto 13x21 Thrust Washer (PICS) Question

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well HELLO Guys!

Just upgrade from aluminum to SS propeller since the last one just broke up after 4 years of fun...

The new one is a Stiletto 13x21 with hub kit already installed

stil-1_zpsac5d1ca0.jpg

stil-2_zps506a2a2e.jpg

My concern is the following:

If I use the Quicksilver brass washer that is over 1/2 inch the propeller have a nice gap like this one...

stil-4_zpsb1824448.jpg

If I install the propeller with no washer at all I mean only like the 2nd picture its go all the way down with no gap and feels rought when turn by hand and the worst is If I torque with the socket the propeller doesnt turn by hand ...

So I decided to exchange the brass thrust washer with a SS one more slim than quicksilver like this...

arandela-1_zpsfb238656.jpg

arandela-2_zps219c9ada.jpg

with the following result

stil-3_zps46115d17.jpg

I didnt test on water yet but the prop turn nice and freely by hand with the proper torque. Now the big question is If this SS washer will hold the job without any risk of damage in prop shaft or any other else.

The setup in the picture 3 works but my concern with this one is that the splines are over 1/8 inside the propeller hub. Im trying to be as most accurate regarding splines alignment.

Would like to hear from you guys.

As always BIG THANKS!!

jestor68

Commander
Re: Stiletto 13x21 Thrust Washer (PICS) Question

That doesn't look like an actual "thrust washer".

It looks like a washer from a hardware store.

krakatoa

That doesn't look like an actual "thrust washer".

It looks like a washer from a hardware store.

Yest, it is a washer from a hardware store, thats why Im asking if this one could do the job. I will take additional pictures of the splines with the quicksilver thrust washer installed.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Nothing wrong with the "nice gap". I have one on a similar engine running a Ballistic SS. If the Stiletto length is not comparable to OEM props and you bought it from I boats, they list the proper thrust washer on the page where you order your prop. Besides you need room for your prop to function in the "slip clutch" mode while running in F gear where the prop shaft moves up and down slightly moving the prop back and forth slightly.....Put the shifter in F and push on the prop from the rear...it's spring loaded.

If you didn't buy from them, go to the top of this page and get in the prop arena, punch in your numbers, find your prop, pull it up and look for the specific thrust washer on that page and buy it. Forget the "hardware store" washer. Thrust washers are tapered to fit the taper on the shaft. All of the forward thrust of the prop is against them and they along with the prop nut allow the slip hub in the prop to perform normally.

Mark

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6374.jpg102_6376.jpg102_6373.jpg102_6371.jpg102_6372.jpg

That washer will not stand up to thrust loads. It won't happen immediately but eventually it will either jam onto the shaft or slide down it allowing the prop to wear the gearcase..

You need to do something more like I have shown in these photos. The split stainless shaft collar will grab the shaft --IF there is a stepped section behind the original thrust washer and you tighten the locking screws really well. Stainless flat washers space the prop the correct distance out on the shaft. The correct size split collar will cost around 30 bucks at Fastenal. (if they are located in P.R.)

Obviously, your Mercury (Or Force with Mercury lower unit) is different than the Force I did this to and you will need to be slightly different. You may not even be able to do it. However, I had the same problem and the blades of the Ballistic prop did contact the exhaust snout so I needed to move the prop further back into the gearcase.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Now the big question is If this SS washer will hold the job without any risk of damage in prop shaft or any other else.

Nope,... You need the proper thrust washer that matches the taper of the prop shaft, 'n matches the prop,....

krakatoa

Busy Days but Im back!!!
Now I do not know what Im thinking about but confused when saw splines did not meet exactly with the hub, thats why I try to use the "ss hw washer", anyway never ran the OB with this washer but take a look at this pictures.

Look how far back the shaft splines are when use this hub washer

arandela10_zpsf2e910ec.jpg

arandela11_zpsfe948be2.jpg

Propeller gap from gear case

arandela12_zps6677221c.jpg

Now using the quicksilver 13191A1 Original Thrust Washer,this one goes deep inside against the thrust,

arandela22_zps3a0f0376.jpg

the splines are closer to the outside of the hub

arandela21_zps6e182149.jpg

and finally gap between gearcase and prop, maybe is just about 1/8 maybe liitle more closer to the gear case its not a big difference

arandela23_zps5b792ddc.jpg

Last edited:

krakatoa

View attachment 227583View attachment 227584View attachment 227585View attachment 227586View attachment 227587

That washer will not stand up to thrust loads. It won't happen immediately but eventually it will either jam onto the shaft or slide down it allowing the prop to wear the gearcase..

You need to do something more like I have shown in these photos. The split stainless shaft collar will grab the shaft --IF there is a stepped section behind the original thrust washer and you tighten the locking screws really well. Stainless flat washers space the prop the correct distance out on the shaft. The correct size split collar will cost around 30 bucks at Fastenal. (if they are located in P.R.)

Obviously, your Mercury (Or Force with Mercury lower unit) is different than the Force I did this to and you will need to be slightly different. You may not even be able to do it. However, I had the same problem and the blades of the Ballistic prop did contact the exhaust snout so I needed to move the prop further back into the gearcase.

Yes there is a stepped section at the back of the shaft, looks like a good idea but the quicksilver washer do the job, its possibly that the hardware washer will ruin the shaft some time, never took the risk to allow it. The OB is a 1993 Mariner 115HP

stepped_zps7048e343.jpg

stepped2_zpsec0e9b69.jpg

Last edited:

krakatoa

Nothing wrong with the "nice gap". I have one on a similar engine running a Ballistic SS. If the Stiletto length is not comparable to OEM props and you bought it from I boats, they list the proper thrust washer on the page where you order your prop. Besides you need room for your prop to function in the "slip clutch" mode while running in F gear where the prop shaft moves up and down slightly moving the prop back and forth slightly.....Put the shifter in F and push on the prop from the rear...it's spring loaded.

If you didn't buy from them, go to the top of this page and get in the prop arena, punch in your numbers, find your prop, pull it up and look for the specific thrust washer on that page and buy it. Forget the "hardware store" washer. Thrust washers are tapered to fit the taper on the shaft. All of the forward thrust of the prop is against them and they along with the prop nut allow the slip hub in the prop to perform normally.

Mark

Mark you are right the Stiletto lenght is not comparable to OEM props, maybe I get confused at this point, since after 4 years with same aluminum prop I forget that "little" detail and expect the Stiletto fit as an OEM.

Anyway at the end of the day I test the prop but do not like it. Too much pitch for my OB definitely will stay with 13x19 and for ski or heavy load will keep my Rapture 13x17 and will sell this new one.

Thanks to all for advice.

Last edited: