Is a SS prop worth it?

HeadnSouth

Seaman
I have a 98 Chapparal 2135 SS with a alpha 1 5.7 Liter engine. I currently have a aluminum 14.25 x 21. I'm considering getting a SS prop but not sure it's worth the cost. Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

The boat is used mainly as a cruiser, no skiing but we do knee board.
Thx

Last edited:

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Is a SS prop worth it?

Yes it is. If your just cruising around and top speed is not your primary concern. Have a look at the 4 bladed stainless props from Turning Point. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Thx, what's the performance difference between 3 and a 4 blade?

MikDee

Banned

What are you trying to accomplish with SS?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Your up on plane faster. You can plane at a lower rpms. better holeshot. And you get better fuel economy at cruise rpms.
The downside is the absolute top speed will be slower with a 4 blade. You will loose a few MPH on the top end of things.

MikDee

Banned

You will get similar results from a 3 blade SS, as these though not as pronounced as a 4 blade. Either way, you have to drop down in pitch, maybe a 19" for a 3 blade, and 18" for a 4 blade. The SS is heavier, & with very little flex, and harder to spin, but thrust at all speeds is immediate, & constant, not wishy, washy, almost like cruise control, set it, and forget it, very little variations of speed, even in the chop.

HeadnSouth

Seaman

You will get similar results from a 3 blade SS, as these though not as pronounced as a 4 blade. Either way, you have to drop down in pitch, maybe a 19" for a 3 blade, and 18" for a 4 blade. The SS is heavier, & with very little flex, and harder to spin, but thrust at all speeds is immediate, & constant, not wishy, washy, almost like cruise control, set it, and forget it, very little variations of speed, even in the chop.
Great info. Thx

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Better performance. I've had the boat since 2000 would like a little more zip.
The 4 prop sounds ideal besides the lower top end.

95% of your boating occurs below 4500 rpm....the only sacrafice is that last 500 rpm and 5% of your time

jestor68

Commander

With no performance data, we're throwing darts at the board blind folded.

Generally speaking, you might expect a slight improvement in performance(acceleration, cruising, top speed) by switching a SS prop.

The fact is, current aluminum props are much better performing than they used to be.

You must decide if the nearly triple price tag is worth it. We're talking a 1-3% improvement here; comparing a Mercury aluminum Black Max to a Mercury Vengeance SS prop.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

95% of your boating occurs below 4500 rpm....the only sacrafice is that last 500 rpm and 5% of your time

Yep. And to add... Part of it depends on where you boat as well. If your on a lake, you might hit top speed all of the time. If your on the ocean, your almost never hitting top speed. Not unless you get that 1 day that's like glass. I boat in the gulf and I almost never run full speed, the water will not permit it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Yes the cost at about 3 times as much is a consideration.The results of a ss prop over a "good" al prop setup may be minimal.
The difference in fuel use would probably be measured in tenths of a gallon per hour if the change is dramatic.
An al 4 blade should deliver improved hole shot,stay on plane easier at reduced throttle,seem smoother,resist venting and respond better around the dock.
Also keep in mind while a ss prop resists damage in the event of a soft contact,mud,sand.gravel if you boat where a hard contact is likely the ss will be at least twice the cost to repair.
The Solas Amita al props are very good entry level prop.at about 1/3 the cost of ss.
The Turning Point Hustler is said to deliver ss like performance at about the same al cost.
If you get us your prop info and remind us of your boat and motor.Get us your lightly loaded wot rpm and gps speed we may be able to tell how your present set up is working and what may help.

Last edited:

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

HeadnSouth;4538704... Any suggestions said:
Unless you change some other parameter of the prop, I doubt you will be able to feel any difference. Don't get me wrong, all other things equal there will be some slight measurable differences, but I wouldn't expect anything dramatic or even overly perceptible. Having said that, it has been said that there can be differences in props performance between manufacturers even with the same basic diameter and pitch. Experiment. (Hey, I'm a serial prop changer. I have four sets of duo-props.) Try borrowing several different ones from friends or a shop before pulling the trigger.

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Great info, thanks guys.
My boat is a 98 Chapparal 2135 Sport 5.7 Ltr. 250 HP I/O Alpha 1

Currently I have a AL Vortex prop 14.25x21. Hopefully I'll have the boat out his weekend to give you the rest of the info.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

the points of Jestor and Steele say it well........is 3x the price worth 1-3% performance increase? kind of like being a serious golfer buying a new driver every year......you hit your old reliable driver 250yrds.. the new one 255, was it worth the $400? I say, buy it if it makes you happy... SS props are pretty though ;)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There is another reason to consider a SS prop. If you boat in shallow water with a sand/silt bottom, and tend to destroy an aluminum prop every year, a SS prop might be a wise investment. I had that exact scenario, and I had a choice to buy a new aluminum prop every year (at least), or buy a single SS prop and use it for a decade or more.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

the points of Jestor and Steele say it well........is 3x the price worth 1-3% performance increase?

I would argue that if you get a good high quality stainless prop that is suited for your needs and lifestyle, that it is the single best piece of hardware you can add to your boat. (with the next best thing being a set of tabs)
It's impossible to put a % on much of it. But just as an example with my center console it was running closer to 4k on the tach to cruise at 35 mph with a 3 bladed stainless. On the 4 bladed stainless I'm hitting 35 mph at about 3500 rpms. That's a fair difference.

MikDee

Banned

I would argue that if you get a good high quality stainless prop that is suited for your needs and lifestyle, that it is the single best piece of hardware you can add to your boat. (with the next best thing being a set of tabs)
It's impossible to put a % on much of it. But just as an example with my center console it was running closer to 4k on the tach to cruise at 35 mph with a 3 bladed stainless. On the 4 bladed stainless I'm hitting 35 mph at about 3500 rpms. That's a fair difference.

Fair enough, but what was the brand/model and size specs on both props? To help learn more about SS props.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Can't really evaluate the results without the size of each prop. The boat and year and brand of motor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you compare apples to apples, identical shaped, same number of blades of an aluminum prop to a stainless steel prop, the stainless steel prop can be made with thinner blades that flex less. The stainless prop will have better performance because of less blade drag and flex. The stainless prop is stronger and will not get damaged if you hit a piece of wood or other small debris.

On the other hand, hitting a rock could damage your drive more using a stainless prop as it is less forgiving.

All the extra comparison of a 3 bladed aluminum vs 4 bladed stainless blah blah blah doesn't really mean anything discussing the material differences of the props since you just added a bunch of other variables.

Last edited: