50 hp johnson set up

Garrard slab

Recruit
Hey all! Long time boater, but new member. I recently purchased a 1987 15 ft bassmaster brand bass boat with a 1985 50 hp johnson. The boat is fiberglass, and weighs 800-900 pounds. The outboard runs well and is mounted on a 6 inch setback cmc power tilt and trim. The current prop is an omc aluminum 11 3/4 x 17. The engine is mounted as high as possible with the cavitation plate slightly above the bottom of the boat. With me (190 pounds), six gallons of gas, full livewell, I got 33 mph at 5550-5600 rpms. I have very little trim before prop blows out, also a lot of ventilation in turns. I have very little lift, especially in the bow. Speed is gps and rpms are on tiny tach. My current prop is chewed up a little, so I will be buying a new one. My holeshot is pretty slow. I am considering a 12 1/4 x 15 hustler aluminum or same size in a stiletto or turbo. Any advice? Thanks!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50 hp johnson set up

Calculator indicate at 5600 your slip is a reasonable 11%.
Theoretically a Hustler should hold better , Should give you lift probably add some speed.
It is an aggressive prop and may load the motor more but may "lighten" the boat. Keep in mind your present slip
is pretty typical. A 2" decrease in pitch can add 400 rpm.At 17" the Hustler should improve overall performance.
A 15" pitch should leap out of the water but you may have to watch the wot rpm.

Garrard slab

Recruit

I may very well go with the 15 pitch hustler. I occasionally have one passenger which takes forever to plane with current prop.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If its struggling with only one added a 15 probably is a better choice.