• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 9.9 gamefisher prop shearpin

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 9.9 gamefisher prop shearpin

Hello all, I have a 9.9 gamefisher that recently purchased a new prop for. Sears parts direct no longer carries the shear pin for it and I am not sure on the correct specs for it. I was thinking of just putting a piece of steel rod in it but could not find any that fit snugly. As of now, I have a tension pin in it that seems to fit pretty good, but I am not sure if it will be strong enough, I definitely dont want to loose ky brand new prop. If anyone has any knowledge on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks in advance, Lang

Re: 1988 9.9 gamefisher prop shearpin

Wasn't the motor made by Force? You should be able to look up the shear pins for a 1988 Force 9.9 and it should be the same thing.

Marine Engine.com lists them as in stock. Just Google Force Outboard motor parts to see a number of suppliers.
    Have a nice day!

Comment

Is the prop hub splined? If so, all that's needed is a cotter pin to hold on the nose cone and prop.

My 89 7.5HP Force/Gamefisher uses a cotter pin for the prop.
      Last edited by fishrdan; December 31st, 2013, 03:49 AM.
      2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
      2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

I've used a piece of 1/8 inch brass rod for shear pin material....you want a softer metal that will "shear" before your prop/gears/drive shaft....

Comment

Just summarizing what you have been told and showing my agreement:

If there is no mechanism to hold the prop to the shaft, a BRASS pin will be necessary. If you can't find a rod of suitable diameter, get the dimension and purchase a long brass screw that has a smooth portion prior to the threads and cut it to fit.

If the prop shaft is splined, the spline takes the place of the pin so all you need is a cotter pin to hold the nut in place.

Mark
          If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	beda4b9be0909c5bcc5224a107104599.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	157353Click image for larger version

Name:	c67e35ca2830d08154434740e3fa3c63.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	150240Click image for larger version

Name:	233e30ca45c7412002d6514f99302926.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	150238

ALL Chrysler and Force engines from the 1960s to 1990s used a splined prop shaft. If your Gamefisher is indeed a Force, then the prop is located on the shaft by a thrust pin. This pin keeps the prop from sliding back under load and contacting the bearing carrier.

A cotter pin will do temporarily but is certainly not the best solution. I forget the exact size of the pin, but it is either 1/8 or 3/16 inch diameter. It is a loose slip fit in the holes of the prop and shaft. You can use any stainless bar of the correct diameter. I like to use a long stainless screw with the threads and head cut off.

On my little 50 horse go-fast, since vibration either broke the tail cone or cone retaining cotter pin, I did something different. The tail cone worked off and when I slowed down, the thrust pin came out. I lost the prop. THUS: I replaced the thrust pin with a 1/4 diameter Allen head bolt and a nylock nut. I also replaced the tail cone with a 1/2 inch nylock nut. You can do the same with smaller hardware on your 9.9.
            Last edited by Frank Acampora; December 31st, 2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X