cavitation issue?

bayliner94

Cadet
just wondering if anyone can tell me if I have a cavitation issue with this prop? the outer edges seem fine, I just do not like the way the coating is coming off! if so,, what remedy should I be looking at? the numbers on the prop are 48 77346 a40 19p. my boat is a 17 foot bayliner, force 120. the motor max out at about 5200-5400 rpms, if that helps.011.jpg012.jpg

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: cavitation issue?

If you where getting any kind of cavitation, you will see tiny pits in the aluminum, and usually closer to the hub, on the fwd side of the prop. Looks to me like a prop that has been repaired and then poorly painted. Any repair numbers stamped on the hub?

bayliner94

Cadet

not that I can tell, just the numbers stamped on the hub portion that I mentioned. I don't really see any pitting anywhere, and the outer edges seem to be ok!

limitout

Banned

try cleaning it up real good then repaint it and see if the pattern repeats.

it may have just been a bad paint job causing it

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

While paint will wear off almost any prop, yours is a bit excessive. However, I don't see any cavitation damage and it appears to simply be a paint-to-metal bond issue.

If the wear pattern really bothers you, you have the option of stripping, priming, and repainting. OR you can strip the prop and polish it.

Your third option is to send it out for powder coating which will last much longer than paint but will probably cost as much as buying a new prop.

That lower unit appears to be a dual exhaust. You may also have issues with exhaust bleeding out over the prop hub and that might explain the paint lifting in the hub area.

Last edited:

bayliner94

Cadet

wow,, thank you all for your generous input,, I greatly appreciate the help!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Never could keep paint on a repaired prop.....just like yours. Went to a SS and that was the end of the repairs and the paint coming off the first time out after the fix.

Mark

Fed

Commander

In the first picture it looks like you've got a lot of galvanic corrosion happening on the hub part of the prop.
Are you sure you have all the right anodes, thrust hub and washers in place?