Stainless Steel Propeller "Help"

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice
Guys please share with me the how to know what size propeller you need. I am wanting to get a stainless steel propeller, and confused about the size when I am browsing through Iboats.com

Thank you!

95 Glastron SSV 175 3.0 Mer Cruiser

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stainless Steel Propeller "Help"

What size prop are you using now?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Read the stickies in the prop forum

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We'll be glad to help you understand prop selection and with the proper information we can make some suggestions.
First of all prop size is always written Diameter X pitch. Numbers usually appear near the base of the blades or under the prop nut.
Very basically pitch is the key number in prop selection. Again very basically diameter simply follows the pitch
and is a secondary consideration.Diameter is primarily determined by the size of the outboard or outdrive.
Lower numbered pitches vary basically deliver more power and increased rpm higher numbered pitches deliver less power a but more speed ,assuming the motor can turn them in the correct rpm range.
If you look up prop pitches you will note that as pitch goes up diameter usually goes down.
You will need a working accurate tach and a gps for accurate speed.
Try to answer the stickys at the top of the prop forum.
Your prop needs to help your motor to rev freely within it's suggested rpm range.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Whatever we tell you is speculation, maybe educated speculation but speculation none-the-less. The only way you will know that you have the right match is to run it. All SS props are not alike. All SS props of a mfgr. are not alike. All SS props do not perform the same on a given engine or on a given boat. Any prop performs differently under different conditions of operation and weather.

Get cozy with a prop shop. Do the lend lease thing and test before you buy. Just remember, you are testing, not spending the week on vacation. You must return the prop in original condition for the shop to take it back and let you try another......they are going to have to sell your return to someone else as a new prop. You will pay extra for the service, $100 is not out of line, but if you want it right, this is the only way you are going to get there.

Course once you get this new prop on your boat, you need to know how to run it which is as important as the prop itself! All SS props don't run the same. All....................

Good luck,
Mark

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you guys so much for the information, I see their is more to just putting on a prop than go. I will get to a buddy of mines shop and borrow a few

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If you get us the information in the stickys at the top of the prop forum we can help tell if your present setup works
and perhaps suggest some sizes and types to try.
There are a number of aluminum props that perform close to SS for a lot less money.
If you boat where hard contact is likely a SS repair can be costly and may include gear case damage.
The safety hub should protect the gear case but doesn't always.
If you boat where soft contact is likely, mud and sand, the SS prop will hold up better but will still cost more when repair is necessary.
If you do try some props it would be great if you could get us the results with the present prop and your results of your try outs.