merc 80 hp 1980 ss prop stuck on shaft

rookie456

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a used 1980 80hp merc. I cannot get the prop off. I have been soaking it with pb blaster, and using a modified wheel puller with chain and hooks around the blades. Today I bought a hydraulic gear puller from harbor freight, hooked it up to the chains, started pumping the handle and the puller wouldnt work right, broken right out of the box. It would allow one pump pressure, but it would release the pressure when i pumped the handle up. needless to say I am taking it back, and exchanging it for one that works. my question is that on the one pump of pressure, the prop would move, but the hub stayed. I am wondering what holds the prop to the hub, and am i going to wind up pulling the prop and the hub will be stuck to the shaft. The prop does not have a name on it, just numbers. 48 72762 a4 19p

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: merc 80 hp 1980 ss prop stuck on shaft

The hub is pressed in with a rubber sleeve.Very likely if its really stuck the body will pull off and leave the hub behind.
At least then you can work directly on the hub.Sometimes they need to be cut off.
Your numbers are Merc numbers and it is a 19" pitch. Someone may be along to decipher the numbers and may have suggestions for hub removal from the shaft.

rookie456

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I exchanged the puller for a new one. 5 tons of pulling force on the prop and it just wont budge. I think I am gonna try to drill into the hub and chisel out that metal to get the prop to release off the hub.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would think at 5 ton the body would pull off the hub.Are you sure the puller isn't some how pulling against itself
I believe if a prop needs a rehub it can be done with a hand press.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Put the lower unit in the freezer over night, then pull it out - hit the hub with a torch.

rookie456

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am thinking that this prop uses sometype of hub kit where the hub is removed from the prop thru the front of the prop. I think the aft drive washer is what is stuck to the prop shaft. Since I did not put this prop on, i am not sure of what it looks like inside the hub. I am adding an image of what I am assuming it is.
prop.JPG

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Rook, You have posted the picture of a modular hub. That is not the type of hub you likely have. Yours will be pressed in, although it will have the same basic components. The center of the hub of the prop should be brass or bronze. The middle will be rubber and the outside is your SS prop housing. I would think that 5T of pressure would bend the prop housing. I also think the prop would have come off before you generated that kind of force. The nut and tab washer are off, right? You cna try some heat, but the prop shaft seals are rubber and closeby, so be careful.

rookie456

Petty Officer 3rd Class

finally got the prop off. It appears that the hub is pressed into the prop through the side of the prop closest to the prop nut. I don't see how the prop could ever be pulled off of the hub without removing the prop from the shaft first.101_1448.jpg101_1451.jpg

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well? How'd ya get it off?

rookie456

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used a torch on the hub by the prop nut, then used a puller. I will post a picture of the puller when i get a chance to take one. I would say out of everything I tried to get that prop off, heat and pulling force is the best advice. I was afraid of using heat because of the seals, but heat is what made it work.

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

the first pics there is a little disturbing what is in the center of the hub. it looks like the threaded end of the output shaft of the lower end. I'm hoping its just a piece that is jammed from your puller. Otherwise your in a whole of hurt i think. I have a 115 merc that's about a 75 and i bent the tabbed washer off the nut and spun the nut off and pulled the prop right off without any heat or excessive force. i didn't have anything sticking thru the hub when i took the prop off.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

in the first pic he hadn't removed the prop yet.......

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The spline in the hub looks nasty like the splines shredded.