Mariner 9.9 1986? Thrust washer problems, gearbox unscrewed itself.

lowdouble

Cadet
I have a mariner 9.9 serial number 9487998 made in Belgium. For some reason about a year ago the propellor unscrewed istself in reverse and fell to the lake bed. I bought a new Propeller from solar I thing but didnt know I had lost the thrust washer. I popped in a couple of large washers as spacers and thought that would be ok.:facepalm: Well now after using the engine for about the 5th time the propellor has eaten itself into the gearbox housing by a quarter inch, the washers (steel) have worn the inside shaft hub smooth and the gearbox unscrewed itself and let all the oil out so I couldnt select gears. I am after either a good parts list or some diagrams showing how it should look originally. Sorry for all the drama but the engines doing my head in :confused: Thanks for and help. Andy:joyous:

limitout

Banned
Re: Mariner 9.9 1986? Thrust washer problems, gearbox unscrewed itself.

for a service manual for it, here you go: 1965-1989 Mercury Mariner Outboard 2HP-40HP Service Repair Workshop...

personally if the housing is messed up then if I were you I would just buy another used lower unit and be done with it, after what happened to yours I wouldn't trust putting money into a damaged gearbox unless all damaged housing parts are removed and replaced and then there is the price all that would cost.

lets see pictures of the damage so you can get better advice on this situation, without pictures its hard to judge

lowdouble

Cadet
Re: Mariner 9.9 1986? Thrust washer problems, gearbox unscrewed itself.

Thanks limitout, I understand what you are sayind and will try to add photos tomorrow. I have been doing some searching online and it appears from some diagrams I have found that it might be a 9.8hp the shaft that the prop fits on is splined right to the end, where the 9.9 is half smooth half splined to stop the prop from tightening down towards the gearbox. That might be the problem but I need to know for sure before I buy the wrong bits. How can i tell?