What is my recommended wot for my 04 90 hp mercury two stroke?

KeithPumilia

Recruit
I know my maximum rpm is 5500 . But what should I try to shoot for? I am currently getting to 5000 with a 3 3/4 by 20 four blade ss prop. If I get closer to 5500 without max over , will I get better fuel economy or speed? Another ? is what type oil should I use? Thanks in advance for the advice.

limitout

Banned
Re: What is my recommended wot for my 04 90 hp mercury two stroke?

my rule of thumb is I shoot to be no more or less then 100 rpm below the max when im on a plane in an empty boat on smooth water. if I need to round it off I go with lower rpms to be safe but if you find it does 5500 then you should be good IF your tach is accurate and you are 100% sure you aren't doing over 5500. there is always give and take as far as what you can get away with but I never want to risk a failure just to get an extra 100 rom or an extra mph or two out of it. im just never in that much of a hurry to get to the fish.

Last edited:

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: What is my recommended wot for my 04 90 hp mercury two stroke?

I know my maximum rpm is 5500 . But what should I try to shoot for? I am currently getting to 5000 with a 3 3/4 by 20 four blade ss prop. If I get closer to 5500 without max over , will I get better fuel economy or speed? Another ? is what type oil should I use? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Keith, sounds like you either have an older carbed or efi motor, in which case any tcw-3 approved oil would suffice. A 90 hp. Optimax requires Optimax oil. A synthetic blended oil. Like "Limit" said, shoot for +/- 5500 rpms lightly loaded. If you're loaded w/ a few people & gear and only hitting 4600-4800 wot rpms, you could be lugging the motor & not be getting the optimum fuel mileage. Also you should pick up 3-5 mph @ 5500 vs. 5000 rpm's. Good luck !!!