Dual 1956 Johnson Javelins - Torque steer question

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am planning to install two 56 Johnson Javelin motors on a Chris Craft 16 ft cruiser. I was told the props must spin in opposite directions to avoid torque steer issues. Does anyone know if this is true?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: Dual 1956 Johnson Javelins - Torque steer question

it sure helps but did they even have counter rotation in 56?bye the way please post pics when your done id love to see it.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

it sure helps but did they even have counter rotation in 56?bye the way please post pics when your done id love to see it.

I don't think they did either and if so never saw it on an outboard. Course back then the Fat 50 was the biggest thing around give the Merc 60 hp 6 cyl.

Personally I don't think the Javelin at 30 or 35 hp is all that big of an engine to give you steering issues. However, Michigan Wheel has been building bronze props for those engines for half a century; had numerous myself. If interested might give them a www shout.

Mark

TurboM700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On a 2 stroke if you spin the motor backwards it will start. Maybe check and see if that would work for your application. (I understand that timing advance would also have to change)

Then all you would need is a reverse rotation prop.

kfa4303

Banned

I don't think they made counter rotating motors/props back then either. You should be fine with two standard javelins. If you have issues with toque steering, you can always retro fit a zero feedback/hydraulic steering system to compensate. Be sure to post some pics when you've got her all rigged. She'll be a real beaut with those two gems off the back.

jestor68

Commander

Those old motors are only available with "standard" right hand rotation. But then; how much torque can 70 hp generate?

As mentioned, hydraulic steering will take care of it; you'll feel no torque effect in the steering wheel.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You don't need hydraulic torque steering or any of that BS. Guys on the Alligator hunting channels on TV run with 115 hp with tiller steering. Get a grip man. Thing you get for the information on here is that it is worth just what you paid for it................absolutely nothing, regardless of what the EXPERTS think their info. is worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Last edited:

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all of the feedback, I am planning to mount the motors as they are and see how it works. I will be sure to post pics and a video of the maiden run.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for all of the feedback, I am planning to mount the motors as they are and see how it works. I will be sure to post pics and a video of the maiden run.

Yes!!!!!!!!

82rude

Rear Admiral

great.!love to see old boats of all kinds.

kfa4303

Banned

You don't need hydraulic torque steering or any of that BS. Guys on the Alligator hunting channels on TV run with 115 hp with tiller steering. Get a grip man. Thing you get for the information on here is that it is worth just what you paid for it................absolutely nothing, regardless of what the EXPERTS think their info. is worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

yeah, but they're not pleasure boats and their modern motors have built-in adjustable fins for compensating torque steer, but the old Javelins do not so the torque steer may be a bit of an issue, albeit a minor one. Although, gator hunting in a vintage runabout with twin Javelins would certainly turn some heads :)