'70's era Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 for kicker-prop help

hunt2labs

Seaman
Are there any options for a higher thrust prop for this motor. I am pushing a 2200lb boat with the 9.5 and burn about 6 gallons of gas in 4.5 hours in 2 foot waves. Sounds like a lot of gas, but we were running the motor at maybe 2/3 throttle.

This is a short shaft and set back on a kicker drop-mount which allows the prop to be at or just below the bottom of the boat about 2 feet away. Maybe I need it even lower ?
If that is the case, I need to put a long shaft on this boat.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: '70's era Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 for kicker-prop help

I had a few of those little motors. They had a lot of power for what they were, actually. Standard prop for that was a 8.25in. X 8, and I dont think there are a lot of options for different pitch. 10HP motor theoretically uses 1GPH at open throttle, so I dont think you should not be overly concerned with fuel consumption.

hunt2labs

Seaman

Thanks for the information. I ran it last night in better conditions and gas consumption seemed pretty normal.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If you can find a 3 blade prop in something less than 8" pitch may do a little better as far as control and speed to rpm.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the information. I ran it last night in better conditions and gas consumption seemed pretty normal.

Yea I was goin to also say that rough seas will eat up gas too.