18ft skeeter porpoising with fin(whales tail)

bass1966

Recruit
hello all ,,i am new here today,,,,i have an 18ft skeeter mod. #sf1850....ive never seen one like it,,,,its a walleye competition boat,,,livewells,,,baitwell,,,101lb minn kota the works,,,,it has a 175 hp mariner magnum efi on the back and a 5 blade prop....since buying it in the spring it porpoises bad all the time,,,,all 3 batteries are in the rear of the boat,,,,,,,,,it has a big fin on the outboard,,,,DO YOU THINK IT WOULD HELP PORPOISING TO REMOVE THE BIG FIN ON THE OUTBOARD????,,,,,IM A CHARTER CAPT ON LAKE ERIE OUT OF ERIE PA AND IM BOUNCING MY CLIENTS AROUND TO MUCH ON EVEN THE SIMPLIST SPOT CHANGE,,,,THIS BOAT SHOULD CUT RIGHT THROUGH THE WAVES I THIOUGHT,,,,THX,,,,PLEASE HELP,,,,,FLIPPER

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 18ft skeeter porpoising with fin(whales tail)

Takes 5 minutes to remove 4 bolts and test-drive without it...you will get no better answer than pulling it off and driving without it...

By and large, most boats do not benefit from those fins.

Normally when porpoising the easy solution is to keep trimming down until porpoising stops. Does this work?

How high is your motor mounted?

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18ft skeeter porpoising with fin(whales tail)

See how it does without the foil.
Take a straight edge and lay it parallel with the keel to see if there is some rocker in the bottom.
Does the motor trim down all the way?Is there a trim preset.