Bravo lll prop ventilation problem?

Zirkel

Recruit
Hi, New to these forum's (lots of great info!). Just picked up a 2000 bayliner ciera sunbridge 2455 with a 5.7L 260hp efi, Bravo lll drive with ss props. Is a low hour, well taken care of boat. Took it out for a solo ride Friday with no issues. Took the family out on Saturday (wife and my small children). Initially, I could not get the boat up on plane. It would plow up to about 14mph, then the rpm would quickly rev to more than 4000, with no increase in speed. Trim tabs were all the way down, outdrive was all the way down. Tried taking off slowly and just going full throttle from the get go. Nothing seemed to help. On about the 6th attempt it went up on plane, no problem and was good the rest of the day. Yesterday, had 2 more adults on the boat and the same problem. Tried moving passengers forward etc., with no benefit. Then, again on like the 6th attempt all was good. Had no trouble getting on plane the rest of the day. Hull is clean, props in good shape. Runs great ~ 32 mph at 3500 rpm, ~44mph at wot. We were running on a calm lake, boat was properly warmed up prior to attempting this. The algae was a bit thick. Any thoughts?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Bravo lll prop ventilation problem?

If the motor and props are in good shape, and the outdrive was trimmed down, the only thing left is foreign matter on the props (the algae). Next time it does the overrev thing, stop the boat and drop it into reverse to blow any 'stuff' off the props. See if that helps.

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats. . .

Based on what you described, I would be checking a couple of things. . .

Props are clean

outdrives are going down properly and to their full extent.

Last edited:

Zirkel

Recruit

Thanks for the replays, we did cruise through some thick seaweed both times, prior to trying to get up on plane. Hope to get out again in a few days. Glad to know it's nothing serious.