25 HP Mercury Plastic Prop Nut Torque

PaleoRob68

Recruit
2003-2005 25 HP Mercury 2-Stroke Tiller Hand-Driven

I bought a new Solas prop and when I removed the old prop, the only securing hardware was a plastic nut with no brass insert. I have scoured the Internet and this is what I came up with for torque.
  • Hand Tighten and then use a wrench for a quarter of a turn
  • Torque to 55 INCH pounds (seems reasonable) (4-5 foot pounds)
  • Torque to 100 INCH pounds (also seems reasonable) (8-10 foot pounds)
  • Torque to 55 FOOT pounds (does not seem reasonable, because it sounds like it would strip the nut)
Currently, I am not near my boat so I cannot get the SN# to call Mercury. I found an online manual, but it shows a cotter pin which it does not have. I called a local Mercury dealer and they asked me to bring it by, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here had the same situation. I rather torque it rather than tightening it to my best judgement and then losing my new propeller when shifting into reverse.

Thanks

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25 HP Mercury Plastic Prop Nut Torque

Forget the 55 ft-lbs. That is what my manual says to torque my SS prop on my 90 hp.

You don't want the prop loose on the shaft. That is really the criteria. The plastic will give a little allowing you to add a little whoopie. I like the first idea where you run it down till good and snug and give it 1/4 more turn.

Mark

jestor68

Commander

deleted

Last edited:

PaleoRob68

Recruit

Thanks.

I stopped at the Mercury Dealer this morning and they said the Solas Amita 3 requires a special brass nut and it will work with the tabbed ring that came with the prop. I will no longer use the plastic nut.