right prop for 60 ETEC / Alumacraft Navigator with planing issues

lou radwan

Recruit
Hi,

We have a 2012 60 HP ETEC tiller on an Alumacraft Navigator. It came stock with a 13.5 x 15 pitch prop, which works fine with 2 guys in the boat. With 3 guys, trolling motor/battery, full livewell, I cannot get the boat to plane. We bought a 13.75 x 13 pitch prop which has dramatically improved the holeshot (gotta hang on now, or your gonna be in the bottom of the boat!), but we went from 30 mph to 24 mph.

What will going to a SS 13.37 x 15 pitch do for us? Provide a better holeshot than the 15 pitch aluminum? I have never used a SS prop before.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

PS, the 15 pitch aluminum hits about 5600 to 5700 RPM, the max is 6000 I believe.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: right prop for 60 ETEC / Alumacraft Navigator with planing issues

Welcome to Iboats,

With a 13 you should be reaching + 300-400 more revs, probably at wot rpm limit, what does your tach read ? Probably will benefit switching to a 4 blade prop ? You can keep the standard delivered prop to go outing lightly loaded and an extra one to dial best prop for opt boat/engine optimization under more load. Can't have best hole shot at top speed, kind of one opposing the other. Will naturally have less top speed, but better overall hole shot. Besides nobody runs at guzzling wot all the time, unless you happen to own a gas station.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

lou radwan

Recruit

Welcome to Iboats,

With a 13 you should be reaching + 300-400 more revs, probably at wot rpm limit, what does your tach read ? Probably will benefit switching to a 4 blade prop ? You can keep the standard delivered prop to go outing lightly loaded and an extra one to dial best prop for opt boat/engine optimization under more load. Can't have best hole shot at top speed, kind of one opposing the other. Will naturally have less top speed, but better overall hole shot. Besides nobody runs at guzzling wot all the time, unless you happen to own a gas station.

Happy Boating

Thanks for the reply. The 13 goes to about 6000, or slightly higher. So what I was thinking was that a stainless might get me performance between the 13 and the 15, but I am not sure on whether a 13 SS or 15 SS would get me a better hole shot than the 15 and better speed than the 13.

How does a 4 blade of equal pitch compare to a 3 blade in performance?

82rude

Rear Admiral

on my boat which is only 550 lbs. with nothing atall on or in it ,I added a 2011 60hp etec .the boat is wood (cedarstrip)and has a fairly flat bottom and is 17feet long.normally I have me and 15 gallons of gas plus gear.i have several props I play with but my all around fav. is the solas amita 17p 4 blade in al.the solas allows me to cruise at pretty low rpms and top out at 6000 rpm and in the high 30,s or low 40,s by gps.next time out I will remeasure top end.any ways the 4 blade at least on my boat does not seem to make much of a noticeable diff over the 3 blade in top end or rpms but allows me to operate on a lower rpm scale for keeping on plane and cruising if that makes any sense atall(LOL).I was told by the erude mech that the 60 is rev limited to 6250rpm at which point I can attest they start to cut out a cylinder so you don't blow it up.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If your handy you could ventilate the prop. Or buy a prop like the Turning point Hustler that is vented.
Venting allows some exhaust to leak over the prop during hole shot allowing the motor the to rev easier
and doesn't affect normal speeds.
Lets you keep the 15 with the same top end.
I can't help with the details someone may be along with more info or you may be able to do a search.

Last edited:

lou radwan

Recruit

Thanks to all who replied. I might try a Powertech 13.75 x 14 SS RED3. Anyone have any experience with these? Or an Evinrude Viper in a 13 7/8 x 15 bowlifter prop. Gotta do a little more research on how these compare to Evinrude aluminums.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Etec 60 test; 15" ss prop Alumacraft navigator 965 lbs Total 1870 lbs 29.2 @ 5700 rpm 4.75 seconds to plane.
Best cruise 4000 at 18 mph,2.67 gph and 6.7 mpg.