1999 Mercury 70ELPT Hit A Log

Coast Ranger

Cadet
I have a pontoon boat with a 1999 Mercury 70ELPT (75hp). It has a 3 blade, aluminum, 13 pitch prop. On the 4th, we hit a submerged log on the river. It put a slight bend in one of the flukes. Maybe 1/8" for about 3 inches. The impact knocked the prop "loose". I found a little side to side play. I didn't check to see if the nut loose before I removed it. Like maybe the hit on the prop cause the nut to spin a bit. The retaining washer (my name for the securing ring with the bending tabs) was still in place.

The prop came off easy enough. The brass collar that fits on to the splines seems to be OK. The square plastic "boot" has 3 cracks in it. This appears to be the source of the play, but not from the cracks. It feels like about 1/16" of play that comes from where the brass collar ribs fits in to grooves in the plastic boot. I assume the boot is the sacrificial part designed to break to prevent damage to the shaft.

The questions:

What are those parts actually called?

Is the play on the square plastic thingy normal? No? Where can I get a replacement?

How much should I expect a prop shop to charge to true up the flukes?

Thanks a bunch,

CR

jestor68

Commander
Re: 1999 Mercury 70ELPT Hit A Log

Order a new Quicksilver Flo Torque hub set # 835257Q1 for $44.99. Or you can use a Solas RBX 102 hub set for $35.99. It'll have all new parts to replace the damaged hub.

The bent blade should be able to be straightened. You could probably do it yourself with a piece of 2X4 and a hammer. What a prop shop might charge probably depends on your locale. My shop might charge $20(the minimum charge to let you in the door).

Coast Ranger

Cadet
Re: 1999 Mercury 70ELPT Hit A Log

Thanks for the info Jestor. With the help of a friend that does a lot of boating, I was able to beat the prop back into shape. That blade looks as good as the other two.

I got the Solas RBX 102 hub in. It didn't fit properly. It left the prop about 1/4" out on the shaft than it should have been. And it had a good 1/8" lateral play in it. Is there anywhere to get true replacement parts for a 1989 Mercury prop?