Mercury Classic 50 Prop Pitch

Aged

Recruit
I recently bought a 1988 Basstracker txt pro17 with a Mercury Classic 50 on it. I was told this was the orginal setup for this boat. I am needing to replace the prop, but I don't think this is prop that came on this boat it is a 14 pitch and takes forever to plane out. I want to know what pitch I should run on this boat? Aged

Wigg1

Recruit
Re: Mercury Classic 50 Prop Pitch

Hi, i went with a 19 pitch stainless, however its on a open bow runabout. Planes out quick on my 18 footer with 190 hp i/o.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Wigg1,we appreciate your trying to help but a prop change on a 190 hp I/O has no bearing on a 50 hp outboard application.
Aged, to do this right we would need your lightly loaded wot rpm and gps speed.And you shouldn't make any prop changes without a tach.
Guessing, I think an 11 or 12" pitch is about the right size but your wot numbers would help pin it down.

Aged

Recruit

Wigg1,we appreciate your trying to help but a prop change on a 190 hp I/O has no bearing on a 50 hp outboard application.
Aged, to do this right we would need your lightly loaded wot rpm and gps speed.And you shouldn't make any prop changes without a tach.
Guessing, I think an 11 or 12" pitch is about the right size but your wot numbers would help pin it down.

Thanks Wigg1 for your input! I believe Supreme Mariner is more in line to what I was thinking. I have checked my gps speed it was 28 mph 2 people on broad about 375 lbs total, I don't recall what the rpm was. I'll be going back to the lake in about a week, I'll check it then and get back with you! Thank a lot, Aged