Gear ratio for 1959 Evinrude 35 hp Big Twin, early 60s fat 50, and a 70s Chysler 105?

dem45133

Cadet
Good day all...

I am doing some prop calcs for a 30 ft 8600 lb sailboat with a 26 hp low rpm engine. I have several props and pitches for the above, but I do not know what their shaft rpm would have been (not the crank). I even have a variable pitch for the fat 50 and other early Evinrude v4s.

Now before you say it... it supposedly only takes 7 hp for this 30 ft hull speed and in fact it currently has a single cyclinder Farymann that needs restoring. But its reportedly quite underpowered in head winds and rough seas. I will be restoring one of two Faryman V twins, one is a P22 from the mid 60s, and the other a S30 from the late 70s early 80s. Since the S30 isnt here yet, I'm not sure which until I disemble boath and decide which is the better candidate. Also before you say it... I can restore either with very few orginal equipment parts... rings, bearings, and gaskets and shaft seals are easily match up to similar duty from other engines. Now the injector pumps are a different story... but can be rebuilt by a good diesel shop. Both were running takeouts and pushed their respective boats to the marinas that repowered them (repowered with more horse since in 38 footers they were a bit underpowered. be just the extra I want in my 30. Oh and I will re-shaft (or turn a shaft) for whatever I need it to be for any prop I have... if they can get close.

It is my intent to prop for hull speed at about 2/3 rpm... thus having extra for tight qtrs and rough seas/head winds.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gear ratio for 1959 Evinrude 35 hp Big Twin, early 60s fat 50, and a 70s Chysler

The 59 big twin has a 1.75 :1 ratio,the true fat 50 available only in 58/59 is 1.70 : 1,the 60, 75 hp V4 is 1.15:1
I assume your diesel will need to be propped to reach its max rpm at wot. Your hull speed will fall where it may.
Too much pitch will lug the motor through out the range, too little and you may over rev or run at excessive rpm through the whole range. Do you know the rpm range of the motors?
Frank may be along with some Chrysler info.