Replacement sheer pin for '56 Johnson Javelin prop

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was switching out props and can't find the sheer pin. I called the local boat repair guys and they don't carry any replacements because they don't work on old motors. Since it just seems to be a standard rod, do they sell something like that at a hardware store? What would you suggest? Thanks!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacement sheer pin for '56 Johnson Javelin prop

There should be some brass pins at the hardware. I wasn't able to find sizes in my manual But you may be able to fit it to your prop.
maybe check the shaft hole size with a bolt and take it to the hardware user a crescent wrench as a crude caliper to compare sizes.
Someone may be along with the official size.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great idea about using the crescent wrench as a caliper; I never would have though of that! Thanks...I'm off to the hardware store now!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just take the prop with you.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Either way it will get you there. Agree that through a hole in the rear, like the old OMC's, gave you a better metric, but the slot in front is pretty tight/accurate as I recall.....been a long time. I had the front slot on a ScottAttwater.

Mark

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it taken care of! I took it with me and we found a possible replacement but it was a bit long. I took it home and used my trusty Dremmel to shave it down to size but before I had the chance to use it, I was given a replacement one from someone. So at least now I have a back up. Thanks again for the help guys!