Prop questions - 1996 Marada 2100

Biggredd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got my first boat at the end of last season. Used it about 8 times, mostly for wakeboarding and tubing. Power seems ok but want to get some advise to make sure its proper and want to know what to look for if I buy a spare prop. Boat is a 21' 1996 Marada 2100 MVB open bow with a Mercruiser 5.0 I/O (not fuel injected). Prop is a Quick silver Laser II, printed on the side is: ID Quicksilver 48 16544 A41 I didn't see any other markings. Is this enough info to tell me the pitch and what I should look for on a spare prop? also, I'm in Denver....high altitude. Might occasionally go to Nebraska or maybe somewhere in Wyoming but mainly here.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Prop questions - 1996 Marada 2100

Ayuh,... The Pitch is stamped on the prop, Somewhere, possibly under the nut...

'n,.... Answer these questions...

Biggredd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

guess I'll go look around again and follow up.

Sherminator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am pretty sure that is a 19p prop. Should be alright, you could even go with a 17-18p for a better hole-shot and better low end, but your top speed will decrease. I run a 20p 4 blade S.S. Stilletto if i know i am pulling tubers and when i am cruising i run a 23p 3 blade Laser II S.S. I have 0 issues pulling with my 4 blade. I pulled 2 double tubes a few times. It worked great for me!

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

also, I'm in Denver....high altitude. Might occasionally go to Nebraska or maybe somewhere in Wyoming but mainly here.

With our high altitude, you can count on running at least 2" lower in pitch, than "lowlanders" run, with the same configuration.

For instance, the dealer that sold me my boat (and they sell a LOT of boats, but in Minnesota) recommended a 15" pitch prop on my motor, but I have to run a 13" pitch prop to get my max RPM up to where it's supposed to be at WOT (wide open throttle).

You'll especially notice the difference when you get up to places like Granby or Dillon. At 9,000 feet that motor is gasping for air!

Biggredd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went and looked again. Around the nut it shows: 48 16544-19 I assume that means a 19p prop. We don't do a lot of super fast cruising (mostly wakeboarding and tubing or just relaxing), although its nice to have it when you need it. Good to know about the lower pitches. I think I'll stick with the one I have for now but now I know what to look for as a spare or testing. and for the link of questions posted above to answer:

1) Performance issue you are trying to correct. - Not trying to correct, just ensure accuracy
2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless as a minimum. - model listed above, looks like it might be stainless steel
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required). - guess it is a 19, not sure on diameter. Does my latest # provide that?
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful) - not sure on RPM's, I'm usuall between 15 and 25 on speed
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP - 1996 Mercruiser 5.0 around 220 horsepower
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight - 1996 Marada 2100 MVB open bow, maybe 2600 dry weight