looking for fastest prop for a lowe 1655 mod v with 75 etec

Swamp Water

Cadet
i have a 2011 lowe 1655 mod v flat bottom 850 pound hull . i must be the only person on the internet with this set up , i cant find any info on anyone like this . and cant get any good answers on the etec forum . i am maxing out hp with a new 75 etec . it comes with a evinrude ss prop of my choice . i have a 05 60 merc 2 stoke with a 17 pitch aluminum and run 35 i am thinking with more power and a bigger gear case . i should be able turn a 19 or 20 i think and increase speed i hope . the raker is there fastest prop and with the the vent plugs this is what i am leaning to . for my motor i can get a 13.5x 18 20 or 24 .

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: looking for fastest prop for a lowe 1655 mod v with 75 etec

First of all unless the dealer says he can guarantee prop results you should be able to test props till you find the best one.
If you go to the Etec site check the performance reports you will get an idea of possible prop sizes.
Sizes range from 15" to 19" on boats of reasonable similar size and weight. The heaviest boat a Wae Eagle 756,17 ft(jon style bass) 998 lbs had a 19" prop and turned 5255 @ 43 mph. Sea Ark 1860,18' (Jon style) 750 17" ss 4900 @ 38.3.
In selecting any prop your looking for a reasonable starting point. The likely hood of hitting it right on the first try isn't likely
unless the dealer has experience with that combination. I believe a 17" ss is a good starting point.

Swamp Water

Cadet

thank you steelespike . i dont know why i did not check that sooner . the war eagle is closed my rig . i now no the prop to get . ! !

jestor68

Commander

If you have not already purchased the evinrude, the Mercury Optimax would go faster and get better fuel mileage. :)

Swamp Water

Cadet

my non bias boat guy that has worked with both . he says optimax is a dog . etec will be better for what i am doing . i would prefer a regular carberated 2 stroke . etec has the 5 year warranty . both have horror stories all over . if the optimax was 55 pounds lighter , and had a 5 year warranty i might have gone with it . as far as gas i dont go boating to save gas . either unit will use less gas/oil than my 05 carbed merc . if i could only go back in time and by a carbed 75 mercury .

jestor68

Commander

my non bias boat guy that has worked with both . he says optimax is a dog . etec will be better for what i am doing . i would prefer a regular carberated 2 stroke . etec has the 5 year warranty . both have horror stories all over . if the optimax was 55 pounds lighter , and had a 5 year warranty i might have gone with it . as far as gas i dont go boating to save gas . either unit will use less gas/oil than my 05 carbed merc . if i could only go back in time and by a carbed 75 mercury .

Response: "Rude Awakening". :)

jestor68

Commander

Back on topic, you might run your numbers through the Evinrude prop selector to see what they recommend.

Swamp Water

Cadet

whats rude awakening ? are you saying im in for a world of **** with the etec ? all outboards have problems . there are bad mercs and rudes i think alot of it is set up and rigging correct prop and proper MAINTENANCE . and get the best possible warranty . im not sure how the prop selector works . it looked like just a few pages of info to scroll . i did not see anywhere to plug in my numbers .

jestor68

Commander

whats rude awakening ? are you saying im in for a world of **** with the etec ? all outboards have problems . there are bad mercs and rudes i think alot of it is set up and rigging correct prop and proper MAINTENANCE . and get the best possible warranty . im not sure how the prop selector works . it looked like just a few pages of info to scroll . i did not see anywhere to plug in my numbers .

Google " Optimax versus Etec " and scroll down the page.

Not to worry though. The Etec is a fine motor and doesn't have any more issues than any other brand. :joyous:

Swamp Water

Cadet

WOW !!! this thing is amazing i think i have double the torque . crazy acceleration ! more top end . i think if the boat goes any faster it will take off . or fall apart . however this is still not even peak performance . with the 19x13 and 7/8 viper ss prop i am only getting 4900 rpm at 41 mph on gps . also the motor is in the top hole so i cant trim up very much . no prop blow out but bad bow slap . that said i am going to drop the motor one hole and go down one prop size to get my recommended 5200 rpm . i will install a raker 18 pitch x 13 and 1/2 . and hopefully pick up my 300 rpm and gain some bow control .

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Just to avoid confusion prop size is always given diameter X pitch. ie.: 13 1/2 X 18.
You might try lowering the motor one hole before changing the prop. Being able to trim more may solve the rpm and porpoising.
It is usually suggested to make one change at a time.
jestor may be along with more specific help.

Swamp Water

Cadet

thanks for the help getting the correct terminology . it will take a week or so to get the time to drop the motor , i will keep you posted with any new info .