Is the prop clutch foolproof?

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last fall before the water got hard here in Wisconsin I hit something even harder with my 35 hp motor, a rock. I thought I was clear of a reef and was just starting to pick up speed, the boat was just starting to lift, when I hit a rock with the prop stopping the motor dead. Here are my questions. I hadn't hit anything with that prop in over 10 years is that why the prop clutch didn't slip? Should I have the clutch rebuilt or replace the prop? What are the chances I did any damage to the motor? It seems to idle and run just fine.

This is my second posting on this subject in the last 24 hours. I don't see the first one. If my other, and this one, posting went to some other place besides the prop page please let me know what I did wrong.

Don H

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Is the prop clutch foolproof?

The prop "clutch" is really just a rubber hub cushion giving some degree of flexibility or protection from a prop strike...but it's a long way from being an insurance policy against drive train or powerhead damage. If your prop is not visibly damaged and not vibrating and not slipping, then sounds like you may have avoided damage...maybe your skeg took the heaviest part of the hit? Good Luck!

Bondo

Staff member

Last fall before the water got hard here in Wisconsin I hit something even harder with my 35 hp motor, a rock. I thought I was clear of a reef and was just starting to pick up speed, the boat was just starting to lift, when I hit a rock with the prop stopping the motor dead. Here are my questions. I hadn't hit anything with that prop in over 10 years is that why the prop clutch didn't slip? Should I have the clutch rebuilt or replace the prop? What are the chances I did any damage to the motor? It seems to idle and run just fine.

This is my second posting on this subject in the last 24 hours. I don't see the first one. If my other, and this one, posting went to some other place besides the prop page please let me know what I did wrong.

Don H

Ayuh,... I looked,... You ain't posted on iboats since Feb. 5th...

Yer prop needs a new Hub, there ain't no clutch...

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you saying that the prop "clutch" is not really designed to slip but just cushion the shock of the prop hitting something. In that case give me the old shear pin. Knowing that they protected the engine and prop, I never did mind changing them.

Don H

robert graham

Admiral

Are you saying that the prop "clutch" is not really designed to slip but just cushion the shock of the prop hitting something. In that case give me the old shear pin. Knowing that they protected the engine and prop, I never did mind changing them.

Don H
The rubber bushing between the inner part of the prop and the outer part with the blades on it may fail due to a prop strike, in which case you may have that prop rebuilt or buy a new one....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I was watching swamp people the other day. 2 women were culling alligators and and maneuvering in shallow water.
they struck a log or stump, appeared of no consequence but cracked the gear case wide open.A relatively new 90 hp.
The ss prop was not damaged.I guess the hub didn't work.