1976 Mercury 85hp prop/rev Problems

Mercrider

Recruit
:facepalm: this motor is new to me it has been sitting for 2 years when i got it I rebuilt the carbs and tried to hit the water it ran fine out of water idle and rev was good. when I took it to the lake I started out slow and then accelerated slowly. when I hit around 2000 rpm the motor started to free rev and would not go anymore like It would if I put it in to nutral but the prop was still spinning. I thought it was coming out of gear due to thottle cable adjustment but I put it in gear manually and held it wile we took off and it did the same thing. I was told that it was a bad prop but I just needed a second opinion. I took the prop off and visually inspected it, the splines are good and the rubber bushing looks decent I just dont know how the prop could cause this. I am new at this and I am out of Ideas. Thank you so much

jestor68

Commander
Re: 1976 Mercury 85hp prop/rev Problems

These props are equipped with a rubber "cushion" built into the propeller hub. It's purpose is to absorb shock when the prop hits an obstruction; helping to prevent damage to the lower unit.

Due to age or to a strike sometime in the past, the rubber hub has been damaged, causing it to "slip" under load.

I recommend a new Solas Amita aluminum prop ($105) to replace your worn out prop. Sometimes a prop shop can replace the damaged rubber hub, but I would keep that repaired one as a spare and just get a new one. The Solas will out perform your old Merc prop anyway; a 1976 design versus a 2012 design. :)

Mercrider

Recruit

Thank you very much do you know what pitch I should go with

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I'd guess the old prop had the correct pitch for your boat so get the new one the same. Look for the size undetr the prop nut.