Best prop or props for a 1995 Force 90 hp.

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have owned fiberglass bass boats for years but circumstances have changed. I almost always fished along and had few people that ever wanted to go in the boat so a bass boat worked well for me until recently. I moved to the Phoenix area from Oregon last year and suddenly I have LOTS of visitors. I couldn't pay people to visit me in Oregon but in sunny Arizona, I can't keep them away so now, lots of people want to go on the lakes in my boat so a bass boat no longer works well for me.
Anyway, I bought a 1995 Spectrum Pro Avenger dual console with a 90 hp Force on the back. It has the standard 13 x19P aluminum prop on it and it works fine. I took it out yesterday and I got 5100 rpm at about 37 mph. Decent hole shot as well but that's with only me and my fishing gear and half a tank of fuel.
I bought this boat to do everything. I bass fish, I also will water ski out of it and when company shows up, I'll take them on a cruise of the lakes. It's an all purpose boat.
I was wondering if I could or should get a different prop to get more hole shot when skiing? The aluminum that is on there is doing a fine job but should I try a SS prop? Would that make much difference on a smaller motor like this? What about a 4 blade?

My biggest concern is hole shot for water skiing. I have a good friend that likes to ski and he is a bigger guy. Not huge though. I'd say he is about 190 or so.
Should I just have 2 props? One for skiing and one for speed when fishing or cruising? Is it even worth trying or should I just live with what I've got?

Thanks for any suggestions.......

Boat specs.
1995 Spectrum Pro Avenger 17 foot.
840 pounds dry
Aluminum hull
1995 Force outboard with 13x19 aluminum prop

jestor68

Commander
Re: Best prop or props for a 1995 Force 90 hp.

A Solas Rubex 4 12.75 X 17 4 blade (aluminum) should be all the prop you need for every activity.

Solas also has a stainless version in 13 X 17 4 blade that would perform even better, if you're willing to spring for the extra dough.

etracer68

Ensign

I agree about the 4 blade, but The differance in performance from a SS is not worth the extra $ in my opinon, this is just my OPINON. You also my lose 1or2 MPH on top end with a 4 blade, but the hole shot and mid range should be better.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Typically on these Force engines If you go to a Stainless prop OF THE SAME brand, design, and pitch, you will see about 200 increase in RPM and about 1 MPH more. Not significant if you are concerned with cost. However, since the stainless is usually cupped and the aluminum is not, the stainless will hold better in turns and can usually be run with a little more up trim.

Similarly, since you already have a well performing prop, you might want to go for the cheaper three blade 17 pitch aluminum and switch props for activities like skiing rather than remaining with the four blade.

Hopefully, some of these "visitors" are willing to kick in a little gas or food. The gesture, not the amount, is appreciated.

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Typically on these Force engines If you go to a Stainless prop OF THE SAME brand, design, and pitch, you will see about 200 increase in RPM and about 1 MPH more. Not significant if you are concerned with cost. However, since the stainless is usually cupped and the aluminum is not, the stainless will hold better in turns and can usually be run with a little more up trim.

Similarly, since you already have a well performing prop, you might want to go for the cheaper three blade 17 pitch aluminum and switch props for activities like skiing rather than remaining with the four blade.

Hopefully, some of these "visitors" are willing to kick in a little gas or food. The gesture, not the amount, is appreciated.

As Jester68 said above, there is a 4 blade aluminum prop from Solas and it's not expensive. About $130.00 or so hubbed correctly. So would I get that much more hole shot and mid-range out of that? How much does it affect top end and handling?
Most say if I go with a 4 blade that I should go down to a 17 pitch from the 19P that's on there. I'm at 5100 rpm with the 19. The WOT rpm recommended is 5250 so will the 17P put me over that a little bit? And if so, is that acceptable?
Sorry for all the questions but money is tight so I need to make it right the first time and it doesn't look like I can send it back if I don't like it from what their return policy is.
Thanks for all your help.
And no. People do NOT generally offer to help out with expenses but with a 90 and the lakes being so close, it doesn't break the bank. I'm pretty happy about that.

jestor68

Commander

The reason to drop down at least an inch of pitch when switching to a 4 blade is due to the increased blade area of the 4 blade. You need to drop pitch in order to MAINTAIN the rpm that you had with the 3 blade prop. The 17" 4 blade will raise your WOT rpm by 100-200 rpm over what you were running with the 3 blade. Putting the SAME pitch 4 blade on there will reduce your WOT rpm by the like amount.

That means at most you might get up to 5300 rpm. That won't hurt anything.

You will lose a little off the top end speed, but the payoff is in the speed ranges used for water sports. You'll be able to yank that slalom skier up with no problem and pull him/her at 36 mph.

All Solas props are cupped, including the aluminum props; 3 and 4 blade. The SS props just have a little more cup is all.

Your Force motor has a Mercury (intermediate size) lower unit(same as a 90 or 115 Merc motor) so can actually look up props for a like year Merc motor and it's the same prop. Makes prop hunting easier. :)

Your 19" prop is operating with only 8% slip; not bad. :)

jestor68

Commander

A friend has a jet boat(468 cu Chevy) . The first time I rode in it, I noticed a placard on the dash that read, "This boat runs on gas not friendship". :)

It should have read, "This boats runs on premium gas not friendship". :eek:

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The reason to drop down at least an inch of pitch when switching to a 4 blade is due to the increased blade area of the 4 blade. You need to drop pitch in order to MAINTAIN the rpm that you had with the 3 blade prop. The 17" 4 blade will raise your WOT rpm by 100-200 rpm over what you were running with the 3 blade. Putting the SAME pitch 4 blade on there will reduce your WOT rpm by the like amount.

That means at most you might get up to 5300 rpm. That won't hurt anything.

You will lose a little off the top end speed, but the payoff is in the speed ranges used for water sports. You'll be able to yank that slalom skier up with no problem and pull him/her at 36 mph.

All Solas props are cupped, including the aluminum props; 3 and 4 blade. The SS props just have a little more cup is all.

Your Force motor has a Mercury (intermediate size) lower unit(same as a 90 or 115 Merc motor) so can actually look up props for a like year Merc motor and it's the same prop. Makes prop hunting easier. :)

Your 19" prop is operating with only 8% slip; not bad. :)

Sounds good to me. I didn't GPS it though. That's from my fish finder. The speedo on the boat said a little less so I'm going with the fish finder speedo. lol.