NEED HELP - Evinrude 200 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickyRick100

Cadet
I have a 1987 Evinrude 200 hp on a 1988 21' Chris Craft Sea Hawk 215. I understand this is a heavy boat at 2500 lbs, plus another 500 lbs for 80 gals of fuel plus gear and the number of people (2 or 3). So I'm thinking 3500 -3700 lbs.
When I open the throttle in full position, the boat seems like its not getting to full speed. It just seems like this 200 should push this boat a lot faster then what it does. The motor sounds like it's at maximum out-put but just doesn't feel like I'm moving the way it should for a 200 hp. Again, I understand that this is a heavy boat (I think I understand - I am new to boating this year and am trying to learn all I can) but something doesn't seem right.
I know I have 2 small issues which I need to correct - 1 is changing the prop. I have a 19" and I was told I need a 17". The 2nd is the trim tab on one side is slightly lower than the other side and needs to be adjusted . I can't adjust the trim tab or change the prop until I get the boat out of the water. It's docked in my yard. 1st question, will the 2 above items make that big of a difference in motor performance, speed and/or drag??? Also, when the throttle is open in full position, I can wiggle the cables and sort of feel the boat/motor pick up a little extra speed. So next question, is there a possibility that there is an issue with the cables not being connected/attached correctly??? Can this be something electrical??? I know I'm going to get posts that it can be a thousand diffident things and there isn't enough information to determine the issue - it can be from the motor, to the cables to the electrical or something else - I just wanted to see if there was a few easy tests or things I can check before I take it to the marina. Again, being new to boating - I'm trying to learn. I posted a question a few weeks back about water coming into my cabin and I received many posts and figured out what the issue was and it was an easy fix. It took 10 minutes and probably saved me a couple of hundred dollars by not going to the marina.
I want to thank all those posters yet once again for helping me with that issue.

Thanks in advance.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: NEED HELP - Evinrude 200 hp

First thing needed is the WOT rpm with the current prop, and gps speed would be nice. "seems like and sounds like" don't really cut it if your looking for help.

RickyRick100

Cadet

Georgesalmon, thank you. I will be taking the boat out on the water today and will post that information this afternoon. Again, I am learning as I go. Whatever numbers I post, I know the boat should be moving faster than what it does. Is there a site or chart that would tell me what speed/performance I should be expecting from this Evinrude 200? This is not the original motor on this boat and I understand that the weight of the boat will play a big part. I will post the information later this afternoon. Thanks again.

jestor68

Commander

The dry weight of your boat/motor is about 3753 lbs. 80 gal of gas is 505 lbs. Figure 550 lbs for people and gear.

That comes to an operating weight of 4808 lbs.

That's a pretty good load for an old Evinrude 200 to push around. I would expect speeds in the mid to upper 30's.

Putting your info into a prop selector comes up with a 17 pitch.

A compression check would be in order to evaluate the relative health of the motor.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Georgesalmon, thank you. I will be taking the boat out on the water today and will post that information this afternoon. Again, I am learning as I go. Whatever numbers I post, I know the boat should be moving faster than what it does. Is there a site or chart that would tell me what speed/performance I should be expecting from this Evinrude 200?

no... it varies with every boat/engine combination out there. As mentioned above, nobody can help until you post your speed via GPS at WOT, as well as the RPM's.

RickyRick100

Cadet

Hey guys, I had the boat out yesterday but I can't get all the information at this time. The rpm's is not working. The boat was moving about 9 mph... When it finally gets going AT TIMES I'm maxed out at 17 mph... I jiggle the throttle cable and try to wiggle the throttle handle down (without to much force as it feels like it may snap) and that's when on occasion it'll click in and get up to 17 mph. I still think this is slow for this motor. Speed verified by GPS.

Jester - I had a compression test about 6 weeks ago and the compression was good. Also, I found 2 sites that tell me the dry weight of my boat is 2500 lbs and the motor is about 500 lbs. Totaling 3000 lbs. You mention above it's 3753 lbs...Big difference of 753 lbs. Can you tell me where you got your info from? I will be looking into getting more information about the boat weight today. Will switching to the 17 prop and adjusting the trim tab (which is off slightly on one side) give me that much more speed? I can't imagine I would get more than 2 or 3 mph. This is a big difference from mid to upper 30's...

Again, I understand I need the rpm's to help and even then it can be a bunch of different issues but working with what I have and want to thank everyone in advance for trying to help me out. It seems like with the rpm's not working, I'm gonna be taking it back to the marina. Any suggestions?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the throttle and cables seem "odd" you need to determine the carbs are opening all the way. you may be able to do this by observing the various linkages. Or perhaps remove the airbox cover and view the carb throttle plates.
With the motor in forward and turned off operate the throttle and observe all the components.

RickyRick100

Cadet

If the throttle and cables seem "odd" you need to determine the carbs are opening all the way. you may be able to do this by observing the various linkages. Or perhaps remove the airbox cover and view the carb throttle plates.
With the motor in forward and turned off operate the throttle and observe all the components.

Thanks Steelespike, I will check on that today as my neighbor mentioned something to me about checking linkages. Again, being a newbie, I wasn't sure exactly what he meant...

jestor68

Commander

Jester - I had a compression test about 6 weeks ago and the compression was good. Also, I found 2 sites that tell me the dry weight of my boat is 2500 lbs and the motor is about 500 lbs. Totaling 3000 lbs. You mention above it's 3753 lbs...Big difference of 753 lbs. Can you tell me where you got your info from?

From the NADA guide.

Let's use your numbers then. Starting with 3000 lbs; when you add in the fuel load, people and gear; I come up with about 4055 lbs.

That makes matters worse; for your motor should really be able to move the lesser weight.

Either your boat has gained weight over the years, or your 200 hp motor isn't putting out 200 hp anymore.

RickyRick100

Cadet

Jestor - thank you. I haven't had a chance to check the linkages these past few days to see if that is the issue. I won't be able to check until the weekend.

I did ck the NADA guide and see where you came up with the weight. Again, as mentioned many times, I have 2 questions which may seem obvious to most. 1st - I asked this question in a different thread 2 months ago and didn't get a response - I do see that Chris Craft in 1988 had a 215 Sea Hawk and a 216 Sea Hawk. Actually just found out today that there is a 213 Sea Hawk as well. I was told when I purchased the boat it was a 215 Sea Hawk. I have not been able to verify this. I looked up hull numbers, checked the title, tried to find out through the manufacturer, etc and cannot confirm which Sea Hawk model I have. Is there anyway to confirm this? All 3 seem to be similar specs. 2nd - I noticed that the 215 Sea Hawk model also comes as W/T brackets - what does the W/T stand for? Sorry for the dumb questions fellas but I am a newbie to boating and still learning.

I will let you know these next few days if I have a linkage issue (which I hope it is because it seems like an easy fix) or if I need
to look further into the motor. As always, thanks again for your help.

malta

Seaman Apprentice

just for information - i run a 23 foot cruiser with a 200 HP v6 oceanpro and cruise (about 3,500 revs) at around 20 mph. My top (WOT) speed is around 30 mph - maybe a tad more - with just me on the boat. more people = more weight and gear and a way slower speed.

Cliff

jestor68

Commander

Boat Pics  Summer 2012 032.jpg Perhaps that top is what the W/T stands for? It looks like it could weigh a few hundred pounds.

jestor68

Commander

DCP_0788.jpg Or it could have a top something like this. It appears that there were several options available.

RickyRick100

Cadet

Thanks Malta - I'm at 17 or 18 mph at WOT but not sure about rpm's as tach is not working properly.
Still trying to figure out if I have a 213 Sea Hawk, 215 Sea Hawk or 216 Sea Hawk.

Jester, I'll be checking the linkage and how much the carbs open on Saturday morning. The cables that go into the motor may be a little short as when I turn to the right the cables are at max tension and I feel like I need to be careful not to pull the cables out of the motor. I think the cables may be to short. When I turn to the left is when I feel the motor kick in and get the extra rpm's and few extra mph. Not much but I can get from 13 to 17 which makes me think it is prob the cables. If so, is it a hard job to change the cables? Are the cables expensive? Should I change the throttle unit and handle as well? Also, is it easy to adjust the linkage on the motor? Any tests/tricks I can use to test if this is the issue or not? Doing research on-line but most of the time these forums have some very good ideas and tests I should be doing...

Thanks again guys.

BigD9105

Recruit
The lower the number the steeper the pitch. Try a 27 pitch 4 blade prop. This will give you more thrust. Sounds like your three blade props are cavitating, this mean you are pushing air instead of water. Most shops will let you try out a prop before you buy. Give it a try.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The lower the number the steeper the pitch. Try a 27 pitch 4 blade prop. This will give you more thrust. Sounds like your three blade props are cavitating, this mean you are pushing air instead of water. Most shops will let you try out a prop before you buy. Give it a try.

I think Rick got this worked out 4 years ago.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.