Quicksilver or Mercury Prop ?

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quicksilver is an aftermarket prop of Mercury. What are the differences in the two (besides price), any performance diff? I was looking to purchase the Mercury Alpha 4 (14x20 4 blade alum), but found the Quicksilver Diamond 4 (same prop as the Alpha 4) to be less expensive. The only noticable diff is Merc has a gloss black paint while QS is a flat black paint. ????

Thanks for any input...
John

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Quicksilver or Mercury Prop ?

The different should be the quicksilver version will not come with the Flo-torq II hub kit that could average between $40.00-60.00 for your alpha drive and it has a black powder coat finish. The mercury alpha 4 series prop blade is die-cast aluminum with durable high-gloss phantom black finish and it will come with the Flo-torq II hub kit.

You could use your old Flo-torq II hub kit that would have came with your original mercruiser prop if needed.

If you held both propellers in your hand you would notice the quality difference between the two.

If you're really in tune with your boats performance then the finishes between the two may yield about a half mile per hour at WOT with the mercury prop coming out on top.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do hav the hub kit. I thought I read a difference in the props material; i.e. one is mercalloy and the quicksilver is not. Wanted to use the forum for some feedback. Gonna lean towards the better quality...about $50 to $60 diff.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Have you looked at hustler props? They tend to be a little more hi-performance than your standard Merc or Johnny props. iBoats sells them

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had a 3 bl alum Merc black diamond as original. Hit something, totally took off one blade at the hub. I did replace it with a 3 bl alum Hustler (Turning point?). I did like that prop....that got damaged, so picked up a used Mich Wheel 3 bl alum, now currently running in which I am getting good #'s; WOT range with the weight load. All 3 props were 14 1/4 x 21p. I do want to go to 4 bl and think I'm on target with a 14x20p which would keep #'s about the same. I'm looking to get better mid range and cruising speeds, and maybe saving a bit of fuel. Will look into the Hustlers.....thanks for the feedback!