Anyone try the Solas HR Titan props.....

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat is a Wellcraft 210, wt approx. 3600 w fuel, misc. stuff and me and the woman, has a Mercruiser 260 5.7 w Alpha 1 drive. Current prop is an aluminum 14 x 19, Michigan Wheel version. Performance is ok, nuthin spectacular. It will run out at about 4100 rpm. I want to try one of the Solas HR Titan 4 blade stainless jobs. Im thinking of dropping down to a 14.25 x 17 and see how she runs. Anyone with opinions/experiance on these props? Im I dropping down enough going from a 3 to a 4 blade......all comments greatly appreciated!!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Anyone try the Solas HR Titan props.....

Yes the titan is a great prop. You do need to get that top rpm point to 4600... 4100 is just to low. a bit like using 2nd gear from a stop. This never fails however by your posted numbers a 16p ss would be in order and that's a tad small for that combination you have. So do you want to take the time get very close to the right prop or just do a wucik change..its up to you

You need to use gps to determine speed and verify your boat tach is accurate..most tach's are off. If the tach is correct then its time to check the timing..plug's and fuel system. So many people come up here looking for a prop when its the engine that is messed up you. It's a simple process when done but seems a bit much getting started. That boat should run 50mph plus when healthy

ESSENTIAL DATA REQUIRED
When posting a question about propellers, you cannot get a reasonable answer unless you provide the following information in your post: Items 1-4 are essential for meaningful response to most questions.
1) Performance issue you are trying to correct.
2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless as a minimum.
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required).
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful)
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight

jestor68

Commander

A Solas Amita 15.5 X 17 (3 blade) would work well for your boat. Order the Solas thrust washer with it.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

A Solas Amita 15.5 X 17 (3 blade) would work well for your boat. Order the Solas thrust washer with it.

Let me guess 1988 has a flat tappet cam....4200 rpm ?????

Post the serial number of your engine let's see if its a roller or flat tappet...Huge difference

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me guess 1988 has a flat tappet cam....4200 rpm ????? Or you just shoot'n from the hip?

Post the serial number of your engine let's see if its a roller or flat tappet...Huge difference

I will get the serial number up today and see what the deal is. As far as the tach, how the hell do you check the tach? Next time in the water I will get a gps speed on the boat. I agree it should do 50. I have changed the fuel filter at the carb and new water separator. The infamous check valve on the fuel tank seems non-existant, and I havent checked fuel pressure yet to see if pump is ok. Throttle opens all the way (carb blades open full), havent checked timing yet. Its a Thunderbolt IV, does this need the jumper to check timing? Where does it go if so.
Sorry to have pissed yall off, just trying to get the boat running at its optimum....

smitty477

Seaman Apprentice

"It will run out at about 4100 rpm. I want to try one of the Solas HR Titan 4 blade stainless jobs. Im thinking of dropping down to a 14.25 x 17 and see how she runs"

I have just coverted and run a couple of Solas HR Titan 4's this summer and they are on the agressive side when it comes to pitch.
This is on a pair of Yamaha 150 4 stroke outboards that had factory 3 blade SS props which were venting and porposing a bit.
Whereas my original 3 blade SS Yamaha props would show a slip of 6-8% when calculating the rpm's vs speeds the Solas HR 4's were at or near a calculated zero slip for the 17" and 19" pitch that I have tried. Of course they do show a larger cup and the 4 blades do make a large difference as well.
I was very happy with the lack of porpoising, lack of venting, the ability to run the props higher in the water, the ability to plane at lower speeds and the huge improvement in time to plane. In my application I did not lose any top speed but I cannot say that will be the case in every situation. Speeds were collected and averaged between 2 GPS and rpm's were collected on the Yamaha digital gauges.

Based upon my experiences I would expect that your calculated slip will be very low or non-existent and plan my pitch need accordingly.

Hope this helps

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

No one's angry..:D As to checking the tach use another known tach and compare. Props are expensive in ss so a little care is taken when going about selecting one. The 4600 redline is where the engine run's out of power and potential mech trouble. Since a boat has only one gear...you setup it up so the gearing (prop) reaches the mfg recomended top rpm..

4100 @ 19
4300 @ 18
4400 @ 18
4600 @ 17

Using a 17 yeilds 45 mph with a 9% slip number and may well be the right prop but if you go to a SS prop drop two for material and that gets 4400 rpm...to low... drop to a 16p and your back to 4600...That is small for a 5.7.. 21' boat. Its just to simple to check the system's and make sure its up to speed...:D