1987 8hp Mariner

HittinSteel

Cadet
Going to order a prop from Iboats today for this motor. It will be used as a kicker for my 15 foot bowrider (for the time being, but later may be used on a small aluminum ). What was the standard pitch this motor came with? What should I get?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 8hp Mariner

Your not likely to find out the original size prop as it very likely would end up with a prop that was appropriate for what ever boat it went on. However if I was picking one from the list it would be a 9" pitch Solas Amita prop.
A little too much prop for a kicker but close to what a "small aluminum would need.
Is the kicker for trolling or backup? If there is a prop on it? There should be a size on it near the base of the blades or under the prop nut.

HittinSteel

Cadet

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. The 9 sounds like what I'll get. I have to pick the motor up and it is propless at this point. It will be used mainly as the main power on 9.9 limit lakes and for a small amount of trolling (couple times a year). May end up on a small aluminum or inflatable down the road.

Thanks again

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If your going to be running a lot on the big boat I would lean more to something like an 8.
Its not likely to plane the boat so will be working extra hard.