Motorguide Props

tysdad2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Right now I am currently running a beat up (tips broke off) Machete 3 blade prop on my motorguide trolling motor it was like that when I got the boat...I think it is time for me to replace it...So I am trying to decide should I get a new Machete 3 or try another blade? What blade are ya'll useing on your motorguide trolling motors?

I go trough alot of thick pepper grass,hydrilla,lilly pads,all types of grass I need the best prop I can possably get...

Your opinons would really help me decide thanks alot!

Sorry for the bad spelling

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Motorguide Props

I'll move this over to the Prop forum for you, maybe that will workout better.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motorguide Props

Weedless type props would probably be best suited. Comparing to weedless props on small outboard motors, one would look for blades with a high degree of slope from the butt of the blade out to the tip; the more the better. This will be your least amount of thrust, but you are after getting through the muck; so you can't have it all. It should just roll off the blades.

I have run a long prop on a Minnkota years ago. It was at least 10" long and 2 blade. I doubt that you want that. I didn't like it because it took too much power to get it turning and at low speeds it was not very practical as a result.

I have seen MG props that had 4 little stubby blades. I think this might do you as the short blades would act like a grinder and chew up the goo as you went through it rather than have it get wrapped around the big blades. I know this contradicts what I said initially, but you can follow my thoughts and I am thinking through this as I type.

I think I will go with the 4 short blades. They aren't all that expensive so if you miss it, you haven't lost all that much. Try again with something different.

HTH,
Mark