Quicksilver QST5 vs Mercury Marine High Five. Mistake?

WD40.1

Cadet
Just ordered the Quicksilver QST5 17" pitch, but upon further reading I'm now having 2nd thoughts.:(
Did I make a mistake by not going with the Mercury Marine version?

I'm currently running an older (without the PVS) 19" pitch High Five.
It's not the pitch drop I'm concerned about, it's the lack of the PVS and a question of quality on the Quicksilver prop.

1) Is the PVS that beneficial, or are we talking maybe a second improvement to 30mph once it's all dialed in?
2) I read various opinions on the quality of Quicksilver vs Mercury Marine on this site and others.
Any further thoughts or real world experience?
I suppose I'll wait till the prop gets here this week, and see how she runs this weekend to form my own conclusion, but with all the knowledge here, I thought I'd ask.

I'm mainly looking for that elusive 2nd to none hole shot that will help me get up and going on my old skinny 65" slalom ski.
The 19" works with a bit of effort on a light load, but if we have a fully loaded boat, I don't think I'm going to make it.

Smart Tabs are about a 80% go for purchase at this point, but I want to try the prop first as that's the easiest to swap right now.

Info:
1994 Reinell 196BRXL.
5.0L-2bbl-Carb Mercruiser Alpha One. (190hp?)
1.65 (high altitude) ratio.
4,600 at 47mph (indicated) with the 19" High Five (light load)
Additional:
Elevation = 4,000' in Helena, as is most of our boating outings.
Light Load = 2 persons, 2 labradors, 20-25 gallons gas.

Thanks!

drtydeed

Cadet
Re: Quicksilver QST5 vs Mercury Marine High Five. Mistake?

From what I've heard, the 17 is a totally different design and was to be avoided. I would think that a 17 would be too small for you anyway.

I also ordered a QS high five. Only difference is lack of vent holes (mine is thru hull exhaust, so, vent holes would do nothing for me). Since you are already committed to smart tabs, I would suggest getting them on first and keeping the 19 high five. I would thank that smart tabs and 17" high five would be way overkill for your rig. I think you'll get significant benefit from the tabs and the 19 will pull really well then.

WD40.1

Cadet
Re: Quicksilver QST5 vs Mercury Marine High Five. Mistake?

From what I've heard, the 17 is a totally different design and was to be avoided. I would think that a 17 would be too small for you anyway.
I read that as well (linked below), but never found any concrete evidence to back it up.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=457360
"EDIT:"
I also question the validity of the claim after this statement:
17" has a diameter of 13.5 vs 13.25 for the rest of the line up
^^^That isn't correct at all. Diameters range from 12-3/4" - 13-1/2".
The higher the pitch, the lower the diameter.
http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Mercury_Marine-HighFive-Propellers/?*******=110673850

I would think that a 17 would be too small for you anyway.
Well, I am drinking a LOT of water till I pop up with the 19:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=409237&p=3858218&viewfull=1#post3858218
I don't mind keeping an eye on the tach to prevent over-revving if it gets me up faster.
This boat is way heavy at the back end with the V8.

I still need to iron out some details to put the smart tabs on, not the least of which is I have to relocate the transom tie downs.

I appreciate your response by the way.
Thanks.

Last edited:

WD40.1

Cadet
Update

Update

We tested out the QST5-17" pitch this weekend.
:D:D:D Is all I've got to say at the moment.
Just what the doctor ordered!
Popped me right up with our standard load (listed in first post).
It was sure nice not to have to use 75% of my energy just to get up and going.;)
Even my wife noticed the substantial decrease in time to plane.

I didn't get much of a chance to check top end since the afternoon thunderstorms rolled in rather quickly.
I managed to get to 4,900/45mph before needing to back off.
Of course, I don't want to rev this 305 any higher anyway, and I certainly didn't get it to be used as a speed prop.
Cruise was a little slower as expected due to the decrease in pitch,
but with the new improved hole shot, I'll live with it.

I don't see any quality problems at all with the Quicksilver prop.
Highly polished, no visible defects, ran smooth at all rpms.

At least now it gives me a bit of time to fit up some smart tabs, and then I can try the 19" again.
I'll be keeping the 17" for when we have a full boat, which looks to be more than a few weekends this summer with all the visitors we've got coming out this year.

drtydeed

Cadet
Re: Update

Re: Update

That's great news on the 17. I have still yet to get out with the new high five but I'm hopeful that is does the job.