Difference between Solas HR4 and Titan HR4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttommytuna

Cadet
Folks - whats the difference between these two lines of props? Solas website descriptions are identical. I tried the HR4 and really liked it but want to know what more/less the Titan HR4 would give me before settling on prop. I see Titan is a bit more expensive..

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Difference between Solas HR4 and Titan HR4

I believe one has a pressed in hub where the other takes a interchangable hub kit. Otherwise props should be identical.

ttommytuna

Cadet

Thanks that makes total sense.

Any idea how the OMC Cyclone would compare to the Solas? SOmeone mentioned that Solas makes some of the OMC props.. I may have the opp of picking a cyclone up from Kijiji for only $150. If it is the same as the Solas i'd be set (assuming the one hole engine raise gets me the extra 200-300 RPM i need at WOT).

ttommytuna

Cadet

Ok folks.. I had the engine raised one hole and had mechanic swap in the 4 Blade Solas Titan SS 17p.

Bad weather here but i was out trying the new setup. I'm not sure if I should be happy or disappointed as there are a number of factors that likely prevented this from being an ideal test:
- pretty big chop
- my full enclosure was up (previous tests were with cover down)
- pretty decent winds

So i got the boat out on the water and only could see 5400 RPM with the engine being up one hole and the four blade Solas (empty boat, 1/3 tank of gas). My target has been the 5750rpm sweet spot for the etec 130. lLast week in more ideal conditions (prior to engine raise), the same Solas was maxing 5500. The aluminium 3 blade that shipped with boat was maxing at 5600. I am hoping the full enclosure plus choppy conditions make up for the missing 200-300 RPM i want to find

Other thing i noticed with engine up a hole, is the entire trim range has totally changed. Prior to going up a hole, I could trim upto 3/4 on the trim gauge before she would lose grip. Now i was only trimming up 1/4-1/2 up before grip became questionable.

Running temperature was about 165 degrees instead of 170 prior to lift so I think i still have good water pressure.

Reverse thrust with this prop was pretty poor. Hit the dock a bit hard in the high winds because of the low reverse bite.

Had to come home from cottage so i'll have to wait another week to try out in more ideal conditions. I'm praying that the poor conditions is what robbed me of my 300-400 RPM. I don't want to be lugging this engine!!

What do you guys think?

Fantasvas

Cadet
A 3-blade prop is going to give better performance on a lighter boat. A 4-blade prop is designed for heavier boats. A Stainless Steel prop will out-perform an aluminum prop in performance and top speed. In your case, the weather conditions are definitely a factor in how much speed and RPMs you attained during your prop test. Remember, 2 inches of pitch change results in 400 RPM change. Try again with better weather conditions...stay safe...

Mod EDIT: old topic, check your PMs Fantasvas

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.