Changing form a composite to a Stainless prop

Kwzskydive

Cadet
I recently purchased a boat that has a 4 bladed piranha composite boat proper on it. I am happy with the performance and is in the correct WOT RPM range for my set up (4800 RPM). The question I have is has any one had any experince changing from one of these 4 bladed composite to a 4 bladed SS prop? Is there a considertaion to the pitch due to the deflection of the composite blades?

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Changing form a composite to a Stainless prop

Check with your local prop shop or marina. They may loan you a prop on the condition that you buy from them. You'll be much happier with a SS prop or even an aluminum over the composite.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If you give us the info requested in the stickys at the top of the prop forum.
We can tell how you're doing with your present setup.

Kwzskydive

Cadet

4 bladed piranha composite
14.5x16
4600 Rpm at 32 MPH GPS
4.3l Mercrusier Bravo 1 1989
Sea Ray 220 Sundancer 1989 23'9" 4200Lbs

halfmoa

Ensign

I recently purchased a boat that has a 4 bladed piranha composite boat proper on it. I am happy with the performance and is in the correct WOT RPM range for my set up (4800 RPM). The question I have is has any one had any experince changing from one of these 4 bladed composite to a 4 bladed SS prop? Is there a considertaion to the pitch due to the deflection of the composite blades?

I'd humbly suggest you adhere to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." school of thought.

Kwzskydive

Cadet

I'd humbly suggest you adhere to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." school of thought.

I would normally agree with you but in this case the composite prop look very weathered I know the affects of UV on any type of petroleum based material and I am concerned about a failure of the prop.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I have the gear ratio at 1.65.It may be stamped on the leg.
The calculator says 24% slip There is no doubt that a ss prop will lower the slip.
Its nearly impossible to predict results when changing materials and your changing design as well.
I think I would stay with a 16" pitch..Don't worry about diameter if intended for your application diameter should be right.