RAKER PROP FOR A MERCURY OPTIMAX 115hp

1650crestliner

Recruit
Hi guys Im a new member and was hoping for some help. Ive read lots of posts from guys like walleyehead who give good insite into the problems at question. finaly I thought maby the right Question to the right guy may solve some of my problems. My question is I have an older Raker prop that my father has passed to me and at the moment im working on the prop setup on my 1650 crestliner with a 115 optimax. my father ran the same crestliner with an evinrude 110hp vro mid 80s model and did test alot of diffrent props he hit the mark at a 13 1/4x 18 raker the prop gathered rpm quickly good hole shot and topend with great holding and bowlift. my problem is playing with props is like many of you say it is a black art. I have been testing diffrent props im hoping that someone will know if the new rakers will run on merc's I see they still make a 13 1/4x18 or can I have my old Raker rehubed for my optimax and what thrush washer to use. at the moment Im running a 20pitch lazer at 5400rpm at 45mph gps I think this 18pitch Raker will put me right in the sweet spot at around 5650 to 5700 rpm.. or would a powertech 18pitch PTR be an equivalent to the Raker..???

thanks joe

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: RAKER PROP FOR A MERCURY OPTIMAX 115hp

OMC and Merc have a different number of splines. A prop shop could rehub your prop. Nothing wrong with 5400 @ 45 with a 115 on a 16' boat. I wouldn't drop pitch unless you want more hole shot and are willing to give up some top end. Sometimes, things don't work out like the numbers suggest. Doing the prop calculator and deciding on a pitch change may not get you the anticipated rpm increase and you will be dissatisfied.

My 2c,
Mark

1650crestliner

Recruit
Re: RAKER PROP FOR A MERCURY OPTIMAX 115hp

thanks for the reply and your answer make some sense. all in all though I think I'd like to test it it may prove me wrong but until I run it I just won't know. I enjoy the water and am learning a thing or 2 about diffrent styles of blades and realy am looking of the proper set-up to maximize the performance and handling. It seems like everytime I test a prop it gets me a little closer to what Im looking for. At the moment Im having a hard time finding a prop for the 4 1/4 gear case that others have used that works like a raker. it seems like for its time it is a benchmark prop but some custom work will have to be done to get it to run on my 115 opti.