2002 express 1650 99 yamaha c40 prop size???

1080tommy1

Seaman
Ok so I had my boat out for the first time last weekend and she ran great. I have a couple of general questions on props and how to fit the motor with the correct prop.

Firstly, I do not know the current pitch or diameter but can say this about the performance. When I give full throttle, the boat has an outstanding hole shot however; when she gets up to speed it feels like she wants to go more. Seems like there is too much pitch to me. I am going to take the prop off next week because I am going to Florida and will not have time this week. At WOT the boat did attain 28mph but I think this is light because it should top out closer to 33 or 34. My prop is the one that came with the motor and it does have some dings on the blade edges and I was also wondering how much affect does a dinged up prop have.

I do have a jack plate and lifted the motor about 5 1/4 inches off the transom and 4 inches back so I would think perfromance would be increased. Now the motor ran perfectly and as I said, the hole shot was impressive. I am wondering what your pitch is 99yam40 because I seem to remember you saying you got about 34 out of yours at WOT.

I have to say now that I redid the carbs, the motor idles and runs extremely smooth, just thought for fishing I would get a little more out of her. I was wonderin if anyone else has a 40 horse two stroke that could give me an idea of what prop they run because I want to buy a new prop and there are limited recomendations for prop sizes. I mean they give a big range of pitches and diameters.

If this is too general, I am sorry because I am new to owning and operating small outboards. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I reall want to get a new prop. operating RPM is WOT 4500-5500. Boat when used for fishing will be loaded with normal fishing gear and usually one or two other people.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2002 express 1650 99 yamaha c40 prop size???

I would see what you WOT RPM is and post that and what prop you are running right now.
I will have to pull my prop and look at what size and pitch it is as I do not remember, it is a Ballistic SS and I run 5500 WOT
These only show 40s with 10 5/8 X 12, but I think they are aluminum
http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

Like I said before 34 with just me and not fighting too much wind and current, and my 16 SV is probably lighter than yours, seems like you have more decking and not sure what all you are carrying