Need a new prop on an 150 Mercury XR6

spietry

Recruit
I have a 150 Mercury XR6 on a 25ft Pontoon so it pushes a lot of weight and has a lot of drag. Right now I run an 15 1/4 by 15 quicksilver prop. Now I bought this boat with this prop and have lived with it. It runs wide open at 5300 rpm's and I would like to switch props to get Mercury engine specs which are 5600 at full throttle. I know that isn't much difference but I feel like the boat over all should run a little higher RPM if needed. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I was thinking maybe go to a 14.5 diameter with a 17 pitch. But I'm not sure... I would like to stick with aluminum. What do you think a good prop size would be?

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Need a new prop on an 150 Mercury XR6

Welcome Aboard, the higher the pitch, the lower the rpm's. You can try and get your 15p prop repitched to 14 or go with a 13 to gain rpm, and hole shot. General rule is, 200 rpm for each 1inch of pitch.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Welcome,is the the year of the motor a secret?lol
What is the present wot rpm and speed?Really can't figure out a prop change without your present performance.
If you typically run with a heavy load a lower pitch might help a little, but a reduction of 1" pitch could add 200 to 300 rpm but
lower top speed.You are well within the motors rpm range.

spietry

Recruit

Welcome,is the the year of the motor a secret?lol
What is the present wot rpm and speed?Really can't figure out a prop change without your present performance.
If you typically run with a heavy load a lower pitch might help a little, but a reduction of 1" pitch could add 200 to 300 rpm but
lower top speed.You are well within the motors rpm range.

Thanks for both answers..

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

The prop you are running now is OK but you want more RPM- that's easy. The diameter of your prop matches up to a Mirage type SS prop. And you want a lower pitch to get your RPM up. That may even give you the same speed as your RPM's will go up despite the drop in pitch.
Don't know what the comparable aluminum prop is but you want big blades and low pitch for pontoons. If you invest in SS the Mirage would be a great pick. Made for heavy boats. Your engine will love you. Go with a 13 pitch prop and you'll probably run at the 5600-5700 range which is right where that engine wants to be. in fact, if that is a 2.5L engine, you can run it up to 6K without fear of killing it. They are great engines.