How do I select right prop for Yamaha 60 HP motor?

donnie961

Recruit
I recently damaged prop on my 60 hp Yamaha (98) model with large foot. No ledgible numbers are on the old prop. A friend on mine loaned
me his prop off of a 90 hp Yamaha. It is an aluminum prop 13.5X15. My boat is a 97' Sundance Skiff, 17' in length. The motor bogged on take
off and only reached 25 mph @ 4800 RPM. Can anyone off suggestions to choose the right replacement prop. Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I select right prop for Yamaha 60 HP motor?

Bogging on take off "hole shot" could be several things. 4800 rpm at WOT is probably at the low end of your recommended operating range and is lugging the engine....i.e. too much pitch which also can cause a lousy hole shot. Dropping a couple of inches of pitch would probably work wonders for you. Don't know what your gear ratio is, but 60 hp on a 17' boat may be a bit light, especially if the boat is heavy. So that too would fit into the less pitch suggestion.

HTH,

Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I select right prop for Yamaha 60 HP motor?

Welcome,
Have you looked for numbers under where the prop nut goes?
I don't find a 60 with a (large foot)though it is larger than the 50. They seem to have a numerically high gear ratio at 2.33.intended to turn a larger diameter prop,over 13" X15" and 17" pitch is very common for the 60. The 50 which is 1.85 ratio is intended for a smaller diameter prop.What diameter is your damaged prop? Is your skiff a SV171?