Solas Titan 4-Blade Prop Review

Hoss 350

Seaman Apprentice
No questions in this one, simply a review...

My boat:

1996 FourWinns Horizon 170 Runabout. 130 HP V-4 Johnson Outboard.

Previous prop - 19 pitch 14.5" 3-blade aluminum. Indeterminate manufacturer.

Previous stats:

- decent holeshot, but never timed it. It would not overrev on the holeshot but it could hit maximum RPMs.

- 4,000 RPM cruising speed was 27 to 28 mph

- 4,500 RPM cruising speed was 33 mph

- Maximum top speed at approximately 5,900 rpm was 41 mph

- Turn cavitation was only a problem if trimmed up

- Could not take much trim before the boat would porpoise. The trim gauge almost never registered the maximum up trim before it would porpoise

AFTER switching to my new Solas Titan 4-blade 19 pitch 14.25", I've found that:

- The holeshot is maybe a little better, but it doesn't rev as much, so i'm wondering if I need to maybe trim up a bit to get the RPMs up and see if it will launch better.

- 4,000 RPM cruising speed is more like 32 mph (about the same as the old 4,500 rpm cruise speed)

- 4,500 RPM cruising speed is 36 mph.

- Maximum top speed was about 46 mph at maybe 100 less RPM than the aluminum prop

- Takes all the trim i want to give it and almost eliminated porpoising. THis, I'm convinced, is why I've seen better speeds. The propr holds and grips better and does not allow porpoising as much, so I can trim the boat out of the water and get better cruise out of it.

- Grips in turns like crazy.

All in all, the prop made my boat a whole new beast, and i would highly recommend it to anyone interested in making their runabout better. Best $400 I've spent on the boat yet.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Solas Titan 4-Blade Prop Review

I had nearly identical improvements going from 3 bld factory Yamaha alum.to alum Solas Rubex 4 bld. 18' jonboat now turns like a sportscar, It was unstable and chinewalking at anything more than a very wide gradual turn at WOT, and I cannot get it to slip or blowout. The thrust of throttle at any speed is amazing. I can trim twice as far as before before it porposes now. I wish I had switched years ago when I first heard of the benefits of the 4 blds.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Solas Titan 4-Blade Prop Review

I also had similar results installing a 4 blade. Best money I ever spent.
There are quite a few on here that will state you will lose speed with a 4 blade, but I stand by the real world
results. Since installing the 4 blade I have never looked back. I still have a 3 blade but it sits on a shelf collecting dust.