New prop-What type of grease?

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got a new prop but I want to make sure I can get it off at a later date. What type of grease should I use? There is something on the shaft now but I don't recognize it. It has a light greenish kind of colour. I can't ever remember seeing a green grease.

The motor is a 2007 merc alpha one drive. he new prop is a merc QST 5 blade.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: New prop-What type of grease?

It sounds like the Marine grease (which is usually sky blue) but just about any grease will work and never seize will work too.

The real key thing is to remove the prop every year and clean the garbage out, re-grease and install.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

If the grease is light green in color, then it might be Mercury 101. I use it even on my Johnson outboard's prop shaft and on my boat's steering components because it stays where you put it and never washes away. Didn't have anywhere near the same experience with Johnson/Evinrude Triple Guard grease. Prop comes off easily every time, as does the removable hub. Also use the grease on stainless steel screws to prevent binding and any corrosion with aluminum threads. Never have a problem getting things apart if I need to. Grease is not cheap ($18 - $19 for large tube), but you get what you pay for and it works.

-- Jeff

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Mercury specs Quicksilver 2-4-C.

The truth is I feel it makes absoutely no difference in this particular application as it's not even a moving part...it is 100% fixed rigid all the time, and its only purpose is to displace water and prevent corrosion. So just use whatever you've got laying around. Just make darn sure it's done annually.