Help with Volvo Penta 4.3 SP props?

KBHumphrey

Seaman
I'm trying to order a replacement prop for my 1992 Wellcraft Excel 20sx. It's a Volvo Penta 4.3 and on the outdrive it's listed as an SP, with CD in smaller letters next to it. Using the iBoats part selector, all that comes up are 94 and newer SX models. I ordered a Solas for those years figuring they would be compatible, but I was wrong. The spline setup does not match. New Solas prop does not fit on the spindle, it's just a wee bit too small.

Is there something unique around that timeframe with VP sterndrives? Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Edit: it's a 17 tooth spline which looks like it's compatible with the Aquamatic series according to the prop selector tool.

KBHumphrey

Seaman
Re: Help with Volvo Penta 4.3 SP props?

Bump for a little help?

Afte trading voicemails with Scott from Solas, I sent him an email describing my issue. No answer. I'm thinking I need one of the Aquamatics, but not sure about shaft length. Measuring from the seat to tip is 4.5", which seems to me to be the short hub but would like some confirmation before I order.

Thanks in advance.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

At the bottom post of this thread, you'll find the dimensions for short respectively short hub: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=498855

Then, I have an SP (SP-A) drive as on my 1990 Wellcraft, but with the 4-cylinder engine (AQ171C) and I for sure have a long hub. My bet is that you have one as well (pretty sure VP had left the short hubs that late in the manufacturing of the Aquamatic out drives.

If you look on my post regarding switching from 3- to 4-blade propeller, you can see that I just got a Solas Amita 4-blade delivered. So far very happy (not yet hit the water), with a price that is hard to beat (actually cheaper than to locally repair a MW prop).

That said, it is EASY to find a propeller for our drives, but you have to look props for "Aquamatic" outdrives, and not the newer "SX" drives. All single prop AQ drives use the 17-spline shaft (maybe different on very early models, but irrelevant here).

I'll try to assist you if you have more questions, since I have at least tried a few props on my boat over the years, but this will be my first 4-blade setup.

The drive ratio on mine is 2.15:1. Not sure if you have the same or not (maybe the V6 have the same ratio as the V8s, 1.61:1 or maybe more likely 1.89:1).

KBHumphrey

Seaman

Thanks 19. Actually, I had seen your thread and that's what led me to measure mine. Do you happen to know what differences there are between the 270, 275 and 280 props?

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as you are using short hub propellers, you can use them on all the drives you list. So "inherently" there's no specific prop for the different drives, more than you need to match the "hub" (17 spline, short or long).

The actual prop selection is a whole other story (but you knew that).

KBHumphrey

Seaman

OK, so I have to add an update. After communicating with Scott from Solas a number of times, he recommended a specific prop model to order, which I did. Mounted it but didn't take the boat out on the lake until this last weekend. It was a long weekend up north with multiple boats and lots of people.
I launch my boat the first morning, put it in gear...and voila. Boat backwards. Throwing it in reverse sends boat forward. The new prop is a standard rotation, but obviously my drive turns counter.

Does that sound right to anyone? For a 92 Volvo Penta 4.3?

I ended up doing an underwater change back to the old nicked up SS, thanking the stars that I decided to bring it "just in case" rather than dropping it off for grinding.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Two options:
Exchange prop for one with "correct" rotation
or (easy)
change the shift linkage under to "cover" on the outdrive to support your new prop (although it will then not match your old "dinged" one).

For safety reasons, it is good to have a spare prop onboard, and for same safety reason, the shift linkage should probably support both of them in the same way (hence both props should be of same "rotation").

W/o knowing the communication you had with Solas, I would guess you could exchange it for one with the correct rotation. Or, if you could take the boat out and at least try this prop to ensure that you indeed have the right "pitch".

BTW, which one did you get sent to you, and did you specify the rotation at all?