Prop recommendation: Triton SF21 w/Mercury OptiMax 225

I recently purchased a used 2003 Triton SF21 with a Mercury OptiMax 225. The boat came with a 24 pitch SS Trophy Plus prop, and I'm having a hard time with the hole shot. I'm having a hard time pulling a skier out of the water, it also bogs in corners. I tied pulling the vent plugs and it made some improvement with initial acceleration, however it spins out now before getting up to plane. I can not find a dealer willing to demo a prop for set up.

Does anyone have a similar set up, I was considering staying with the same prop and dropping pitch, but wasn't sure if that would be the best set up either.

It also doesn't want to hold plane at low speeds, speedometer not working, but the speed I'm running at isn't too low, I guess 22-26. I have not trimmed it out with just me in the boat but I'm guessing 5600 5800 WOT maybe a little less.

Any suggestions please!

the prop is : 48-825940 24P

????

Thanks,

Re: Prop recommendation: Triton SF21 w/Mercury OptiMax 225

anyone? I ran the boat this weekend and I want to say the boat was maxing out at around 5400 rpms maybe a little higher at WOT...I don't want to sacrifice too much speed, but I have got to have enough of a hole shot to pull a 220 skier out without too much trouble. I had a full load 5 peeps in the boat, around 800 lbs. I'm right at 200 lbs and an experienced slalom skier, and I had to fight the boat for what felt to be 8-10 sec to allow the boat to plane off before I could get out of the water.

Ok, I want to simplify my question in hopes of a few responses. I'm trying to gain the acceleration needed to pull a slalom skier. I have a 4 blade trophy plus 24 pitch which isn't working for my set up. If I stick with the same prop, and lower the pitch...what size pitch should I go to, that will get the job done out of the hole. I know I will lose top end, but I'm not hitting my rev limits at this time....my understanding is you will gain about 200 rpms per pitch reduction...so I'm considering going down to a 22 pitch, would that be enough of a drop to see significant gains out of the hole?

Does anyone recommend me to go to a different style prop, 3 pitch or 5? I love speed, but if I can't pull a skier, I'm losing I big part of what I want to do with the boat. How much speed reduction should I expect per pitch I drop? I believe I can safely gian about 400 rpms without going over the recommended rpm range.

AZBruce

Cadet

I have a 2000 Trition SF21 and I have HI Five Stainless Steel Prop with 21 Pitch and I can pull two skiers up - no problem and still maitain a top speed of 55 mph. I had a 3 blade on that I use for fishing on large lakes, but for tubing with the kids, I have been able to easily pull three adults on a tube all weighing 200 plus pounds no problem.

Now if you are looking for mpg's this is not the prop. If you are looking for torque, this will deliver.

Good luck!