Anyone using Piranha or other composite props on I/O???

Status
Not open for further replies.

placebo

Seaman
Is anyone using a Piranha or other composite prop on their I/O, and if so do you like it? <br /><br />Thanks, David

tommays

Admiral
Re: Anyone using Piranha or other composite props on I/O???

i gave them a good look and they were so flexable i felt they would only be good for small motors and it seamed pretty easy to snap a blade<br /><br />i did not try one based on what i read and playing with one in a marine store<br /><br />tommays

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I've always felt the composite props are pure rubbish...other than for little motors like 2 to 4 hp. where they do ok.

placebo

Seaman

But.........is anyone USING one?<br /><br />Thanks again, David

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I've read some ok reviews on them. The blades are beefer than when they first came out for smaller motors but they still do have some deflection. I might have tried a 4 blade prop but they didn't make the pitch I wanted. If nothing else, it would have made a decent emergency prop. If they do work well, the cheap blade replacement is nifty.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I sure wish someone who has put a Piranah on an I/O would post. I'm considering the 4 blade for my volvo sx. I like the idea of cheap replacement blades and changing the pitch to fit my needs. The lakes in MN have a few rocks so I really like the idea that they would break and not cause any damage to the drive. If I get one I'll post my results ASAP.

Wart T

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The reason why no one posts is because those props do not work behind any larger engines. Like the guys say they're ok for small stuff. Trust me, they are useless. Buy some aluminum ones and have them fixed when needed.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I took a look and the sales person said that he has heard really good things with 125 HP and smaller engines but on anything larger the prop flexes too much. <br /><br />-JustMrWill

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys, Iboats is having a sale on the Hustler props, maybe I'll give that a try it seems like a good deal.

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi mate,<br />I have not tried them on my i/o but i did have a 4 blader on a 80hp merc o/b. <br />It was very impressive and cheap! i used to run 2 different props for sking & cruising, then all i had to use was the composite prop.

placebo

Seaman

Thanks for the response. I am getting close to trying one on my AQ170. Will let you know how it goes.

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been using a piranha for a year now, including a runnin with a shole:( on my 83 198c Chapparral, and it's a heavy boat, with a 3.8 OMC stringer 800. I switch back and forth from my 14.5x16 and 14x19 pitch blades. The 19 gives me more speed, but slow out of the hole. I have no problem skiing with the 16, but loose about 5mph top end. After hitting the shole, I lost my skeg, but except for a bit of shaving with a utility knife, (that's right), the prop was basically undamaged, and caused no problems at all when still using it. <br /><br />Now with that said, I've been having my doubts lately as to whether an aluminum would give be better performance (since reading how bad composites are supposed to be in here:), so I've ordered an aluminum 4 blade, and will post the difference results when I've tried it. I hope you guys are right, and I didn't waste my $200 bucks!

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, the verdict is in, the the new 14.5x18 aluminum 4blade I put on out performs the composites for all round performance. It's almost as good as the 14.5x16 comp for out of the hole, and I'm getting better top end than the 14x19comp. I actually hit 4000rpms for the first time since owning this boat.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

jawzzy, Thanks for following up. <br /> Was your piranha a four blade too? <br />Just wondering if we are comparing Apples to Apples.

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 4 blade pirahna on an 18 foot boat with an OMC 225 HP engine. I bought it due to the fact I kept damaging my aluminum prop in a shallow lake. <br /><br />I feel like the pirahna provides as good or better performance than the aluminum did but dont have any hard facts to prove that. I never took both out and tried them on the same water in the same day but I think the pirahna gave a little better hole shot. Top end stayed the same with both.

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The pirahna is a 4 blade as well, so it was an equal test. I seem to have a habit of hitting things too with my props, so I'm still not sure the aluminum was the right choice that way:), but performance wise, it's better, but the composite wasn't that far behind, I just had to keep changing the blades between wanting out of the hole performance, or top end, depending on the day. With the aluminum, I get both without switching.

jstamatov

Cadet

I purchased a Pirahna 4-blade, and it's awesome! I have 18ft. Welcraft with a 4.3L OMC (about 200hp). I use the boat primarly for wakeboarding and tubing. With the standard 3 blade alum. prop., the boat would constantly fall off plane, especially when towing.<br /><br />The 4-blade prop. is like driving the boat with 4 wheel drive - planes faster, stays on plane through turns, etc. Plus, I ride in a shallow lake and occasionally ding props. The replaceable blades is a great feature.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

jstamatov, I think a similar four blade aluminum would probably even do better. But that's just a WAG. :D <br /><br />However, I can see it's usefullness in the frequent encounters with the "hard bottom" kind. ;)

sharring

Recruit

I have a 24' Bayliner cruiser with a 210 hp mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2. I have been using a 4-blade piranha prop for about 5 years on the boat. So far (knock on wood) I haven't hit anything to damage the prop. The boat performs better than when it had a 3-blade aluminum prop. I do not agree with others that posted these props are weak and only good for small hp engines.

dales33

Cadet

But.........is anyone USING one?<br /><br />Thanks again, David

i had one back in new zealand on my 40 horse yamaha for 4 years, never broke a blade and it went fine, maybe they do flex a bit but my aluminum prop was a mess fishing the same areas launching ect, plus i had 2 differnt pitches i was recomended and a snap to change
im considering getting one aagaain for my 25hp, prolly no good for large boats but anything you beach launch or knock around a bit you couldnt go past

Status
Not open for further replies.