evinrude mate prop

mtnman05

Seaman Apprentice
I know this may be a shot in the dark but I have a 1971 2hp evinrude mate that I use on my 14ft old town fishing canoe. I was wondering if there is a different pitch prop I could put on it and where can I get one?? Reason for asking is I would like a little more speed out of the motor/canoe. At full throttle I just sounds like the motor is screaming like it isn't under any load and the canoe isn't going all that fast. I believe it could handle a different propeller. Any suggestions? Would something off of say a 4 or 5hp work that might be a tad bigger or more pitch?

PROPer

Seaman
Re: evinrude mate prop

It will be very difficult to find pitch options for your motor. I would reccomend finding a prop shop that might be able to add a little pitch into you current prop.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It sure isn't likely you'll find much prop selection.And I would think the canoe is a
good match for a 2. Your probably in the stern and the canoe is squating pretty good.
If you can rig a tiller extension so you can get farther forward I think you will make more speed.
Square stern or regular the canoe will likely try to squat as speed goes up.The canoe is designed to run at displacement speeds so will likely be difficult to push beyond 6 mph.
There is a utube video of a little jon boat that actually seems to plane with a 2 hp and that little motor is really singing.

mtnman05

Seaman Apprentice

steelspike,
you are correct. It is squating a lot in the rear. I have the motor mounted on the side of the canoe almost beside my seat. (about a foot from the end of the boat) My canoe also has a livewell/seat in the middle. I could try mounting it a little behind that seat and I may not get as much squat with the motor mounted more forward. I could even try mounting and steering from the bow of the canoe. I was just curious if there was anything I could do about the prop because the motor seems to be under no load at all and I think it could handle pushing more water.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

This may sound a little crazy for a 2 hp but you could get a tiny tach to check your rpm.
This would get your rpm and give an idea what change if any is necessary. About $50 and easy to install. This is an induction tach with a wire you carefully wrap around the plug wire.Be sure to check all info before ordering.
If its a regular canoe you could use the bow seat and make the boat go stern first.Stern seat forward. You can't go to far forward with the motor it would handle strangely.Using the bow seat as the stern position the motor just behind the seat and you on the bottom forward as far as possible reaching back to steer.If the motor was set up to stay straight you could steer with a paddle used carefully.The idea is to get the boat as level as possible.If a true canoe shape speed will be limited but about 6mph should be really easy to get to.I believe the 2 came with a 7 1/4" X 4 1/2" prop and it appears no optional.I think it is likely any boat would be a max load for a 2
and highly unlikely any boat would be too light a load. The motor is rated at 4,500 rpm.
I think it would rev freely to about 5,000 But highly unlikely it could except under very specific
setup.

mtnman05

Seaman Apprentice

what if you mount the motor at the bow and steer from bow. Kind of like you would with a trolling motor.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

as steelspike said: when going solo, sit backwards in the bow seat. Too bad most canoe manufacturers don't account for this and you end up with a thwart under your knees.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You and the motor at the bow is too much weight there would wander terrible.
Boat needs to be close the level.Drive the boat stern first with you and the motor in about
the same spot I suggested earlier.
If you go to Youtube put is 2hp on canoe I think you will see what works and what doesn't
You will note that those with 2 people ride level and make good speed.
There is one with 2 aboard making 10 mph.The key is they are level.

Last edited: