Mercury Hi5 vs Quicksilver QST-5

Mykroft

Cadet
I'm looking at replacing the 3-blade aluminum 21p prop on my Tahoe Q4 3.0L engine this coming season and based on the stuff I've read online and on this forum I've decided that I will probably get either the Mercury Hi5 or QuickSilver QST-5 5-blade SS prop. (Probably in 17p or 19p.)

I know that these two props are essentially the same and are both made by Mercury. The QuickSilver being the "generic" brand lacking any logos or the PVS holes.

My question is will the PVS system really add any benefit to me to be worth the extra cost for the Hi5 prop? I know what it does and what it is for, but I've read in various places that they're better for 2-stroke engines because they have non-linear power curves and do better when they can slip and get up to a higher RPM before "grabbing" the water.

I have a 4-stroke engine sterndrive and I wonder if the PVS system will really add any benefit.

Are there any of you that have used the PVS props vs. the non PVS props on this type of configuration and noticed anything significant?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Below are the specs of my current prop/engine for reference:

MerCruiser 3.0 TKS Carb Engine - 140HP
MFR WOT RPM Range: 4400-4800rpm
Rev Limit: 4950rpm

3-blade alum prop, 21" pitch. Max speed is around 40mph @ 4700 RPM WOT and trimmed.

BTW, I'm choosing a five blade SS because I want more acceleration for water sports and I don't care about max speed.

Last edited:

fossill

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury Hi5 vs Quicksilver QST-5

I run a 19 pitch Hi 5 on my boat. It's a late model 18ft with a 4.3L mercruiser. I've left the PVS plugs in. This prop outperforms any 4 blade model out there for watersports. The 17 pitch model is apparently a bit different design and doesn't perform as well as the rest of the line up, so stay away from that one. Stock prop was a 14x23 aluminum 3 blade which ran at the bottom of the rpm scale with the boat loaded at 75% capacity. If you get the QST-5 you can always drill the holes for the PVS if you want them, easy to do and the plugs are only a few bucks.

Mykroft

Cadet

I run a 19 pitch Hi 5 on my boat. It's a late model 18ft with a 4.3L mercruiser. I've left the PVS plugs in. This prop outperforms any 4 blade model out there for watersports. The 17 pitch model is apparently a bit different design and doesn't perform as well as the rest of the line up, so stay away from that one. Stock prop was a 14x23 aluminum 3 blade which ran at the bottom of the rpm scale with the boat loaded at 75% capacity. If you get the QST-5 you can always drill the holes for the PVS if you want them, easy to do and the plugs are only a few bucks.

Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity what about the 17" model is different in design and why does it not perform well? With the vents on yours, did you ever try it with them open or partially open? Notice anything different?

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity what about the 17" model is different in design and why does it not perform well? With the vents on yours, did you ever try it with them open or partially open? Notice anything different?

17" has a diameter of 13.5 vs 13.25 for the rest of the line up. I was told that the blade design was also a bit different but can't remember exactly how. Couldn't really tell any difference with the PVS plugs in or out. This prop really hooks up when you hit the throttle and you won't have to play with the throttle in turns when pulling, I used to hate that.

Mykroft

Cadet

17" has a diameter of 13.5 vs 13.25 for the rest of the line up. I was told that the blade design was also a bit different but can't remember exactly how. Couldn't really tell any difference with the PVS plugs in or out. This prop really hooks up when you hit the throttle and you won't have to play with the throttle in turns when pulling, I used to hate that.

Okay, thanks for the info. I was planning on getting a 19" but I was just curious about the 17.