suzuki dt115 prop change

anthony35962

Cadet
I have a 1986 suzuki dt115 that I am looking to change the prop on. Right now it has a 13x19 and it is aluminum. I am trying to get a better hole shot and more speed. can somebody help me? My tach does not work so I cant really tell how much rpms the motor is running. So I dont want to get too much pitch. But I still want enough to make a difference.

D

DJ

Re: suzuki dt115 prop change

Without a tach. you are completely guessing. Even a four stroke "shop tach." will work. Just 1/2 the readings.

The Suzy's of that vintage (108 cid. 115-140) liked rev's, as you know. They need to turn 6500-minimum, with a light load at Wide Open-W.O.T..

I had a 140 (1985 vintage-carb'ed) on a 19' Bay Boat. About 1600*-dry. I ran a 13" X 19" and turned, just shy of; 6500, with a light load. The prop was AL. The SS prop's dropped the RPM's by about 200 but gave me another 4-5 MPH. Heavier wheel, was all I could figure. More efficient, I guess.

I went back to Al because of shallow water issues, even though I never wrecked one.

The engine was a "maintenance nightmare"-Mikuni Carb's- so I dumped it.
I went back to John/Rude.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're gonna have to have a tach to accomplish anything worth while. Once you know what your engine is turning and what the max rpm is (I'm betting 6500 is way high), you can then move up or down from the prop you now have ...;)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You should read the stickies at the top of the page.
Sort of working without a net:
Hole shot and speed don't really go together without some boat info and real parformance figures tach etc.A 4 blade prop same pitch will give better hole shot stay on plane with less throttle handle better at speed and at the dock you'll likely lose a little top end 1-3 mph.Trim tabs like smart tabs will improve hole shot and stay on plane with less throttle and if carefully adjusted should maintain speed.
A 17" prop will add about 400 rpm increase hole shot and may maintan speed.
however it may over rev and could cause premature engine failure.

sttopr1

Cadet

My boat has a 1986 DT115 and I was always told not to go over 5,500 RPM. Not saying that that is the max, just what I was told.

sttopr1

Cadet

I realize this is an old post but: stiaght from page 8 of the suzuki owners manual for this motor the recommended operating range is 4,800 RPM for the 115.