Is rubber prop bushing self-centering?

RSchendel

Seaman
Well, the "mint" prop I purchase for my 1958 Evinrude 18hp (pin drive) had serious hub slippage issues. I negotiated a partial refund from the seller and sent the prop off to be re-hubbed. When I received the prop back, I noticed that the bushing is not perfectly centered. I have included a picture below. Here is the response from the repair shop.

"Did you run the prop? The hub casings on these old design props were larger than the brass part of the prop, so centering of the hub is done by the rubber on the hub. Most of these props tend to center themselves after running a little while."

Does the self centering comment make sense? The shop has offered to fix it if I send it back. Just manually spinning the prop results in about a 1/16" wobble on the end of the prop opposite the nut. I have not had it on the water yet.

Attachments

• New Hub.jpg
    New Hub.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 0

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Is rubber prop bushing self-centering?

I'd feel the same way you do. Spinning things must have no measurable runout. Nevermind visible.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I could be wrong--God knows I have been in the past, but I don't think running the prop will cure the wobble. The rubber should be self centering when installed.

I recently bought a new Ballistic prop. It had the same problem as yours--run-out on the shaft. I took a couple of photos which clearly showed the rubber hub was not centered. I sent them to Michigan and the good people there agreed that the hub was defective. They agreed to send me a new hub. It has been well over a month now. I did email them again and they said the last shipment of hubs was defective and they are waiting for a new shipment. I will wait a bit more before I contact them to find out if they have forgotten me.

RSchendel

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. Weather permitting (getting cold in MN), I will give the prop a try tomorrow.

RSchendel

Seaman

I forgot about checking if the hub self centered. Apparently is has as the prop does not have any visible wobble when I spin it by hand. It was noticeable back in 2010.