Triton 189 Prop Choice

Triton189

Cadet
I recently purchased a 2002 Triton 189 Walleye Boat. The engine is a 2003 Yamaha 175 HPDI and I have a Yamaha 8hp kicker on the back. The boat is currenty propped with a Mercury Vengeance (21P) prop. I don't beleive it is the proper prop for the boat? WOT RPM's is 6,000 and GPS is 52. I believe 5,500 RPM is the max for this engine?

Last night I tried a Powertech OTC-4Blade and was at 5,300 RPM's and 48 GPS. I thought I could have done better then 48 but it did have a great hole shot and seem to eliminate a lot of porpoising. Any recommendations/input would greatly be appreciated..!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Triton 189 Prop Choice

Speaking very generically your 4 blade did just about what they do.
Usually apply stern lift,reduces porpoising, better low to mid range handling/performance, stay on plane with less throttle, handle better around the dock,but sometimes will sacrifice some top end.The rule of thumb is "about" 200 rpm per inch. so a 23" Vengence would put you at "about" 300 to 400 rpm lower.
while likely adding a little speed.There are others here that have more expertise than I do.They may have more specific reccmendations.